Vbox guest additions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mbpk

Vbox guest additions

Post by mbpk »

Hello,

Before everything, i thanks you by advance.
I try everything to install Vbox guest additions. I installed 5.2.2, not worked, after that installed 6.0 not worked too. :cry:
guest : Windows7 64bits
host: Debian stretch 9.5

No screen resize, no drag&drop, no clipboard.
I read probably every doc on the subject, & and i watched probably every yt videos.
If someone, by any chance, know where is my problem.
Thanks all,

best
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox guest additions

Post by socratis »

mbpk wrote:I installed 5.2.2, not worked, after that installed 6.0 not worked too
You don't install random Guest Additions (GAs), you install the ones that come bundled with VirtualBox.

With the VM window having the focus, go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...". If not prompted by auto-run, run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" from the CD. Make sure there are no errors or suggestions during the install. You can safely ignore the "modprobe vboxsf" one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mbpk

Post by mbpk »

socratis wrote:
mbpk wrote:I installed 5.2.2, not worked, after that installed 6.0 not worked too
You don't install random Guest Additions (GAs), you install the ones that come bundled with VirtualBox.
Yes, i know that.
> .run is not a linux file ? I cant launch this file in windows.

Basically, i try to install what i have in my D: (Autorun does not work), --> The installation pretends to be perfect and after my reboot, strictly nothing happens.
> I try safe mode & support Direct3D, nothing more

btw, the problem is exactly the same with windows10 guest and Debian 9 guest.
My host seems to be the root of my problems.
Is there any ' installation log' to check ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mbpk wrote:.run is not a linux file ? I cant launch this file in windows.
I'm sorry, I mixed up the host and the guest. :shock:
You need to run "VBoxWindowsGuestAdditions.exe".
mbpk wrote:The installation pretends to be perfect and after my reboot, strictly nothing happens.
What were you expecting to happen?

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
univblue13

Post by univblue13 »

I, too, am curious about this issue. im running a different setup but would like to know the outcome of this after the log files are uploaded.
macOS mojave 10.14.3
VirtualBox version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.3)
I engage the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso via Devices -> Insert Guess Additions CD image...
It laches on, but the vm display does not change. The display does not adjust when the window is re-sized.

So I want to see what happens here to glean some good information to attempt to resolve my issue.
Im seeing the same issue on other machines FWIW. Dell and Macbook Pros.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

univblue13 wrote:It laches on, but the vm display does not change.
You missed a crucial part there; you need to actually install the Guest Additions. Just adding a CD to your computer does nothing.
univblue13

Post by univblue13 »

socratis - you are correct. apologies. Thank you for your assistance.
I will continue to view this thread.
EdwinB
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
VBox Version: OSE Mandriva
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by EdwinB »

only actually install the Guest Addition
mbpk

Post by mbpk »

Hi;

So i retry this day, and nothing new... :shock:
>I allocate more video memory.. nothing,
>and reading another GAs issue, i'm login as adminastror in VM (that could be exactly the same problem but no)

Here, my logs.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.59 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mbpk wrote:No screen resize, no drag&drop, no clipboard.
Your Guest Additions are installed and working:
00:01:17.495719 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.4 r128413 '6.0.4'
But you won't be able to use the Shared Clipboard:
00:00:01.383348 Shared clipboard mode: Off
mbpk

Post by mbpk »

Ye i see that,

But you know why i can't resize more than 1585x890 in my guest display settings ?
thanks
best
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mbpk wrote:But you know why i can't resize more than 1585x890 in my guest display settings ?
No, because you never mentioned it before! It took you 4 (four) messages to state the problem!!! :shock: :)

How much would you like it to go? 5120x2880 sounds good? :wink:
Your host can only go up to:
00:00:01.324625 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated:
        Screen 0 work area is actually resized to: 1920x27 x 1920x1053
00:00:01.335725 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated:
        Screen 1 work area is actually resized to: 0x0 x 1920x1080
So, why specifically 1585x890?
  1. That's not a standard resolution last time I checked, it's actually really odd.
  2. Can't you already do that?
What resolutions are you offerred from within the guest?
mbpk

Post by mbpk »

Sounds pretty good yes lol but i tought the maximum resolution that can be set for any display is 2560 x 1600.

I increase my adapter graphic memory to 256 mb, and that can't resolve anything

I had specificaly 1585x890 because i wanna maximize my display (because of this current problem) so i did some weird settings mixture.
But currently, within the guest, i have 4 resolutions: 1152x864 1038x855, 1024x768 and 800x600.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you please tell me:
  1. How many monitors you have?
  2. What's the resolution on each monitor?
  3. Can you take the VM to FullScreen mode? Under the View menu...
mbpk wrote:i tought the maximum resolution that can be set for any display is 2560 x 1600.
Why? You can't go above what your host has unless you go into some serious weird side effects, which I won't analyze further for the moment.
mbpk wrote:..1038x855
That's a weird one! :o
mbpk

Post by mbpk »

I. I have 2 monitors.
2. resolution 1920x1080 both.
3. I can but the auto resize guest display does not work.

Yeah all of this is super weird.

Thanks
best