[Resolved] W10 can't do 16:9 resolutions - driver issue?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
computer_freak_8

[Resolved] W10 can't do 16:9 resolutions - driver issue?

Post by computer_freak_8 »

I've been trying to figure this out for a few weeks now, finally decided to create an account and post about it.

Here are the symptoms:
  • only 4:3 resolutions listed when I try to change the resolution in Windows (see screenshot)
  • when installing the Guest Additions, the display driver always says "driver failed to start". (see screenshot)
  • same issue regardless of 2D/3D acceleration enabled (tried all 4 combinations)
  • same issue regardless of "Maximum Guest Screen Size" (tried "None", "Automatic", "Hint: 1280x720", and "Hint: 1920x1080")
  • same issue regardless of View --> "Auto-resize Guest Display" (stays the same screen size when window resized)
  • same issue regardless of View --> "Virtual Display 1" --> picking any resolution (nothing happens; if I go to do it again, I can see the current resolution is still selected)
I've found others with the same or similar issue(s): One of those recommended running:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "guestname" CustomVideoMode1
VBoxManage setextradata "guestname" GUI/LastGuestSizeHint
Which I did, and saw no change, even after a reboot. Per viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48476

Setup details:
VIRTUALBOX:
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806
HOST: Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit 32GB RAM

$ lsb_release -sirc
Ubuntu
bionic
$ cat /proc/meminfo  | grep -i memtotal
MemTotal:       32923460 kB
GUEST: Win10Pro 1803 64-bit 6GB RAM

(Both fully patched last I checked, within the last month.)

Log attached.
Attachments
Windows 10 Pro VL'd-2018-10-22-12-04-44.zip
log
(30.8 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
resolutions available
resolutions available
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 11-46-27.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
driver failed to start
driver failed to start
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 11-31-08.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Last edited by socratis on 24. Oct 2018, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: W10 can't do 16:9 resolutions - driver issue?

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:01.016155 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   VMware, Inc.
00:00:01.016180 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)
00:00:01.016184 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
Your host does not use its GPU, it's doing software rendering. Not "powerful" enough to use it with the 3D acceleration. Disable 3D acceleration in your settings, or check what might be wrong with your host's GPU drivers.

I didn't check the logs any further, you need to address the fork issue first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
computer_freak_8

Every time I've installed VirtualBox directly from VirtualBox, it screws with the kernel, and eventually needs a clean reinstall. Is there a way to prevent this?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't think I've heard that one before!
Can you explain in detail what exactly it does to your kernel?
And when you say a "clean reinstall", what does that mean?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
computer_freak_8

It's been a while, I'll give it another shot, just not on my primary machine. I suppose that'll be a different thread though. :-)

Clean reinstall as in I eventually (after updates from Repos to kernel, and updates to Vbox from Vbox,) I could no longer boot. So I'd reinstall the host OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

computer_freak_8 wrote:(after updates from Repos to kernel, and updates to Vbox from Vbox,) I could no longer boot
That's a new one!!!
Are you sure it's VirtualBox to blame? We haven's seen any similar complaints, that's why I'm asking for clarification...
computer_freak_8

I'll confirm later. This thread, I believe is solved. I made the mistake of not trying all the combinations of 2D/3D/Max screen size *after*

VBoxManage setextradata "guestname" CustomVideoMode1
VBoxManage setextradata "guestname" GUI/LastGuestSizeHint
So, running those commands, setting Max size to "none", un-checking both 2D and 3D acceleration, seems to have solved this issue. The driver is still complaining about how it fails to start, but I'm able to click and drag to resize resolution to whatever I want to.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

computer_freak_8 wrote:running those commands, setting Max size to "none", un-checking both 2D and 3D acceleration, seems to have solved this issue
Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Resolved].