[Resolved] Nothing is hearing on Win 10 Guest with microphone of Win7's notebook

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
apo2

[Resolved] Nothing is hearing on Win 10 Guest with microphone of Win7's notebook

Post by apo2 »

I have been tried Windows 10 Insider Program with Windows 10 RS5_release Guest virtual machine on VirtualBox 5.2.18 (Host OS is Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium).
I would like to use Cortana's dictation with internal microphone in notebook PC, but any sound is taken from them. Cortana says "Nothing hear that you said, please tap here and tune the audio inputs".
Voice memo App on Virtual Machine cannot record any sound, also. Windows 7 native application is worked well with internal microphone in notebook PC.
Directsound / Intel High Definition Audio Device is selected by Audio driver of VirtualBox host. Please let me know how can I separate the problem between host driver(s) and guest driver.

P.S.
Same version of Windows 10 guest on VirtualBox 5.2.18 for Mac is able to use Cortana's dictation and narration guide with Intel HD Audio device.
Last edited by socratis on 20. Dec 2018, 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: [Resolved]
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nothing is hearing on Win 10 Guest with microphone of Win7's notebook

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
PS. You can always Edit your message to add additional comments (PS: ...), there's no need to have a second post. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I did those steps.
Please check the log file.
Attachments
VBox-2018-10-12-16-19-07.zip
Just starting VM of windows 10, and do calibration for mic input.
(27 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the sound icon in your Win10 guest (on the tray) » Recording devices » select Microphone » Configure » Levels » take it all the way to 100 » press OK. Does the level meter work when you use your mic in the Microphone properties?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

Where is the Sound icon? Could you please let me know how to access it step by step. If you said it is required the operation in the guest os, just now I have tried them.
I have done Recording troubleshooting on Windows 10 guest, but the Level mater has been no reaction. The Recording troubleshooting answered " Could not identify the problem ".

Microphone Input on VirtualBox 5.2.18 for Mac is no problem, working in good condition with internal Microphone. What is different between VirtualBox for Windows and for Mac?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2018, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#105289]apo2[/color] wrote:Where is the Sound icon?
[color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:Right-click on the sound icon in your Win10 guest (on the tray)
apo2 wrote:Could you please let me know how to access it step by step.
That was the step-by-step. Honestly...
apo2 wrote:but the Level mater has been no reaction.
Hmm... You may have been bitten by a Windows Plug'n'Play issue, that's why you may not see the sound icon on the system tray after all.

Here's what you do:
  • Open your Win10 guest.
  • Right-click on the computer icon on the desktop » Properties » Device Manager (on the left).
  • Open/expand any Audio related categories, like "Audio inputs and outputs", "Sound, video and game controllers".
  • Right-click on each device and select "Uninstall".
  • Restart the guest.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I caught the Windows plug and play trap, as you had thought. I couldn't understand the sound icon "on the tray" what you said.
The guest os of VirtualBox should be reinstalled for recovering preferred device driver(s).

I'd like to confirm for the question in this issue again.
Is the sound icon on the system tray meaning the icon in task bar of Win10 guest system as following attachment?
Is this sound icon what you mean?
Is this sound icon what you mean?
sound icon on system tray.png (43.65 KiB) Viewed 5923 times
Last edited by socratis on 20. Oct 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

apo2 wrote:I caught the Windows plug and play trap, as you had thought.
So, does this mean that you fixed it? With the procedure I gave you?
apo2 wrote:The guest os of VirtualBox should be reinstalled for recovering preferred device driver(s).
I would definitely not reinstall Windows just for this, no way...
apo2 wrote:Is the sound icon on the system tray meaning the icon in task bar of Win10 guest system as following attachment?
Yes, that's the one! A search in the webs for "system tray sound icon" will verify it... ;)
apo2

Post by apo2 »

socratis wrote: So, does this mean that you fixed it? With the procedure I gave you?
No, I didn't fix it. The audio input (internal mic) still doesn't work.
socratis wrote:I would definitely not reinstall Windows just for this, no way...
I will try the another microphone device with usb. I give up the built-in microphone.
apo2 wrote:Is the sound icon on the system tray meaning the icon in task bar of Win10 guest system as following attachment?
socratis wrote:Yes, that's the one! A search in the webs for "system tray sound icon" will verify it... ;)
Nothing for the answer from system information, is available.
I had ran the troubleshooting tool for audio input, but the problem could not be determined.
Oh, mortifying!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

apo2 wrote:No, I didn't fix it. The audio input (internal mic) still doesn't work.
Does it show under Recording devices in the Sound preferences, yes or no? Does it show in the Device Manager (under "Audio inputs and outputs"), yes or no? Those are the basic questions, not some software and its recording capabilities, you should start with the basics.

If it doesn't work the first time, repeat it; delete the "High Definition Audio device" and reboot the guest.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

socratis wrote: Does it show under Recording devices in the Sound preferences, yes or no?
Yes. but no sound is recorded with Voice Recorder and Audacity. Audacity shows MIC "High Definition Audio" in MME and Direct Sound, both.
It shows also in WASAPI mode. Audacity can be monitoring Audio input levels, it shows noise from NAS Disks be on the side of tested PC.
socratis wrote: Does it show in the Device Manager (under "Audio inputs and outputs"), yes or no?
Yes. "High Definition Audio Device" is shown in the Device Manager under the Audio input and output.
socratis wrote: If it doesn't work the first time, repeat it; delete the "High Definition Audio device" and reboot the guest.
I have done it, 3 times but Win10 guest loose sound playback. Sound is "crackling" and audio distortions, also. Isn't this problem heard from other user(s)?
Last edited by apo2 on 19. Oct 2018, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

My tested environment is;
Fujitsu FMV AH56/E (Windows 7 Home Premium) purchased in end of fall 2011.
Which has build-in microphone via Realtek audio chip.
Some USB Audio devices have installed but now any device isn't connected.
These device are used by ASIO on Win7, and have not affected audio I/O for VirtualBox.
Host OS is Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (x64).
VirtualBox version is 5.2.18 (64bit).
Guest OS are Windows 10 Home Version 1809 build 17763.55 and build 18262.1000.
Each of Windows 10 (x64) guest used 2GB Memory, and 2 logical processors.
Now problem is appeared in sound "crackling" and audio distortions, with "High Definition Audio" output.
Original problem is; microphone dosen't work with "High Definition Audio" driver on Windows 10 guest.

P.S.
Voice Recorder and Audacity are able to recording sound in successfully on Windows 7 native env. with build-in microphone.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

apo2 wrote:
socratis wrote:Does it show under Recording devices in the Sound preferences, yes or no?
Yes
That's where the answer should have ended. ;)
apo2 wrote:
socratis wrote:Does it show in the Device Manager (under "Audio inputs and outputs"), yes or no?
Yes. "High Definition Audio Device" is shown in the Device Manager under the Audio input and output.
Um... that's not quite the answer I was looking for. What you should have is:
Computer
    Audio inputs and outputs
        Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
        Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Sound, video and game controllers
        High Definition Audio Device
  • Make sure that you see the microphone in the Sound in your guest.
  • Make sure that you see the level meter moves, after you've set the Levels of the microphone to 100%.
  • Make sure that the default audio device on your host is what you're "talking" to.
  • And stick to one thing at a time, don't bring USB devices or the cracking sound in the discussion.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

socratis wrote: Computer
Audio inputs and outputs
Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Sound, video and game controllers
High Definition Audio Device
It is clearly shown in device manager as followings;
High Definition Audio Devices in Device Manager
High Definition Audio Devices in Device Manager
Device Manager (10-23-2018).PNG (33.65 KiB) Viewed 5851 times
socratis wrote:
  • Make sure that you see the microphone in the Sound in your guest.
  • Make sure that you see the level meter moves, after you've set the Levels of the microphone to
but, microphone device has been appeared somehow troubled in event logs.
Event Logs in Mic Properties
Event Logs in Mic Properties
Mic Propaties (event log).PNG (14.52 KiB) Viewed 5851 times
We are still halfway through to solve this problem.
Microphone Device driver is enabled, but meter is not responded as fader moves.
Last edited by apo2 on 23. Oct 2018, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is an English speaking forum, and most of us can't read Japanese, so, please switch your system locale in the VM in English and edit your message and replace the Japanese pictures with their English equivalents.

Otherwise I'm going to reply to you in Greek, and you don't want that! :lol: