All black or weird screen.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Aroflote

All black or weird screen.

Post by Aroflote »

Hello,
Before the update, my screen had turned weird the last couple of days.
I thought the update could fix it, but now the screen is all black or weird in different ways.
Please help me, I have to retrieve my code for a school task.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: All black or weird screen.

Post by socratis »

Aroflote wrote:Before the update
What update? As an esteemed colleague says (paraphrased) "Our crystal ball is broken, you have to tell us what's going on"...
Aroflote wrote:Please help me, I have to retrieve my code for a school task.
If things don't work out, at least you'll learn to appreciate the value of a reliable backup... ;)

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Aroflote

Post by Aroflote »

Hello. I'm sorry, I thought I updated at the same time as everyone else.

I hope I saved the right log.
The file was too big, so I split it in two. Se post below
[ModEdit; Part 1 of 2 of the log removed]
Last edited by socratis on 14. Oct 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
Aroflote

Post by Aroflote »

The rest of the log
[ModEdit; Part 2 of 2 of the log removed]
Last edited by socratis on 14. Oct 2018, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I deleted your two partial logs. Now, do me a favor and read the instructions. Again!
And you still didn't answer which update you are talking about... Host? Guest? VirtualBox?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Aroflote

Post by Aroflote »

Hello, I'm so sorry. I'm not used to asking for help at forums like this.

The update I'm talking about is Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.18.

I have now zipped the log named "VBox.log" and attached it.

Now, however, I cannot open the VM at all, as I only get error messages.
I will attach these as screen cutouts in the next post.

Please ask if I can provide any more information.

[ModEdit; Removed "Hola chicas-2018-10-14-10-59-31.zip", as it's included in the next post as well]
Last edited by socratis on 15. Oct 2018, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Aroflote

Post by Aroflote »

Screenshots of the error messages
Attachments
error_windows.zip
(89.33 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but you have to learn to read the error messages a little bit better. For example, do you see the error message talking about a "VBoxHardening.log"? That's what we'd like to see. You didn't mention that in the beginning. The VBox.log is not that useful in this case!

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible. We could potentially give you a suggestion or two if you posted a ZIPPED "VBoxHardening.log" and we see signs of known applications. The one mentioned in the error dialog.

PS. I've deleted your "Hola chicas-2018-10-14-10-59-31.zip". It is included in your 2nd attachment, "error_windows.zip" as well, no need for duplicates, be more "green"... ;)
Aroflote

Post by Aroflote »

Hello,

Thank you for your help again. And I do appreciate you doing this voluntary it that didn't come out clear.

I'm sorry I didn't detect the log duplicate. I didn't intend to bring this file into the zip folder.

You ask why I didn't mention the hardening log in the beginnning. The reason why is that in the beginning these error messages did not occur. The screen opened up black as mentioned. And frankly, I cannot read about any hardening log in the error messages either. I see a lot of mentioning of extension packs, and about the kernel module. And I see the word "hardened", but linking this with what you talk about is beyond my league. I'm sorry.

I will read the FAQ you send. And I will also attach the hardening log, zipped, in case you may get anything out of it.

The error messages are gone btw, and the screen is back to black after running the 5.2.18-update for the n-th time. This is now running as a repair update, and at the end of each reparation, I am asked to restart the computer. Right after I click yes, an error message occurs, but I never get the chance to see what it says. t was something about "unsuccessfully installed", though. I've tried to postpone the restart, but then the message don't appear.

At last, I would again thank you for your help. But I would kindly ask you not to try make me feel more stupid than I already do. If you would explain the importance of zipping files and told me what I should look for, I would understand more. These are, unfortunately, not things we learn at the uni. We're just told to do this or that. And I never dare ask why because everyone seem so annoyed by people not knowing as much as them. Which you are currently confirming.

So I'm sorry if I haven't done everything right. I do my best. And if you know any good programs on extracting from .vdi-files, please let me know as all the ones I've tried results in errors.

Aroflote
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Aroflote wrote:If you would explain the importance of zipping files
I did. In my first response. With red, bold, underlined letters. Why? Because it saves space...
Aroflote wrote:and told me what I should look for, I would understand more
I can't know what I'm looking for, it's not an easy thing to do, it takes thousands of log-looking to know what's going on. We do analyze the logs, and we do post the relevant pieces of information, the evidence, so that everybody can learn. We're still learning BTW... ;)
Aroflote wrote:And I never dare ask why because everyone seem so annoyed by people not knowing as much as them. Which you are currently confirming.
I'm not annoyed by people that don't know as much, I'm frustrated by people that can't understand three letters; ZIP.

You got to learn how to describe the situation better. "I got an error" doesn't help us or you. "I got an error this time, but then I got a different one" is on the same category. If you are getting a hardening error, the error dialog tells you exactly where the details are. If not, then you don't have to look there.

When posting a random log, from a random run, with random settings, that doesn't help identify the problem. We'd like to see "The Log" where/when the problem occurs. And that log should be taken after everything is shutdown, not during the error condition. Then ZIPPED and attached.

Take a look at the hardening FAQ and start by completely uninstalling Kaspersky:
3668.1c44: NtOpenDirectoryObject failed on \Driver: 0xc0000022
3668.1c44: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x40
3668.1c44: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\kl1.sys:
3668.1c44:     ProductName:     Kaspersky Anti-Virus