Problem with mouse pointer

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
olaf1756

Problem with mouse pointer

Post by olaf1756 »

Hello,

I've installed virtualbox on windows 10 Pro and I have problem with mouse pointer. On screen there is normal cursor, but every time I go cross field where is possible to write text, numbers etc.. the cursor immediately change from
arrow to two black dots, which are even hard to see. Does anyone have solution for this? I googled a lot but didn't find solution :(

below some system info

PC where is virtual box installed
Lenovo T480 (but I have information that it's not just on this type of machine - on older version it happens too)
- intel(R) Core i7-8550U
- 16GB RAM
- 64 bit

OS in virtualbox machine is windows 8.1
- intel(R) Core i7-8550U
- 11GB RAM
- 64 bit

Virtual box:
Version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2)

Edit: I know about that "hack" with black scheme for mouse :)
Attachments
Left OK, right NOK
Left OK, right NOK
5.jpg (79.71 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with mouse pointer

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
olaf1756

Post by olaf1756 »

VBox.zip
VBox log
(32.73 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Ok, here is the log file.
Right now I'm running the mouse with black scheme
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.927445 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel
00:00:02.927459 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
00:00:02.927464 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6168
Intel GPUs aren't actually known for their performance, or their bug-free implementation. That's where I believe the problem comes from. You might be able to get away with it if you disable 3D/2D acceleration, or a combination of sorts.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
olaf1756

Post by olaf1756 »

Thanks for hint, but there is no change when I try all possibilities of turning on/off 2D/3D acceleration.
I'm still missing mouse pointer in text fields.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I've seen a similar problem here some months ago.
The problem disappeared after updating host and guest to the latest Windows updates.
For me it looked like some kind of bug/incompatibility between the different Windows levels when using a RDP connection.