Google Chrome Black screen Issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SureshK

Google Chrome Black screen Issue

Post by SureshK »

Hi,

I have recently installed VirtualBox on my PC. I have successfully installed Windows 10 but there is a strange problem. While using Chrome on Windows 10, the display goes blank. Not the PC display but the Chrome screen. if I close Chrome, everything is just fine. But, every time I open a tab in Chrome in Windows 10, it starts to flickers and then goes completely blank or dark. I am new to all these things and I am not sure what might be causing the error. It only happens while using through VM Virtualbox. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Pardon my lack of tech knowledge and if I am not clear with my question.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Google Chrome Black screen Issue

Post by socratis »

• Open Google Chrome.
  • Click Customize and Control Google Chrome > Settings.
  • Click on Show advanced settings and scroll to the System section.
  • Uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available and restart Google Chrome.
Answer shamelessly copied from the first hit when querying for "Chrome disable acceleration".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SureshK

Post by SureshK »

Hi, thanks for the reply. But, disabling hardware acceleration was not of any help. What fixed the issue for me, however, was to disable the graphics display adapter in Device Manager as instructed here https://www.thetechminute.com/fix-googl ... indows-10/. It's been a couple of hours since I did this and the Chrome hasn't gone black yet like before. Hopefully, it stays the same and I don't need come back asking for help again :D Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate you taking time to reply to these threads.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Interesting... Do you remember the name of the Display adapter that you disabled? Can you post a ZIPPED VBox.log from a complete VM session? I should have asked that from the previous post...
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.