[Resolved] Guest fails to capture USB memory stick

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest fails to capture USB memory stick

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the VM, "Show in Explorer". ZIP the selected VBOX file and attach it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Old bowler

Post by Old bowler »

Now wondering how or whether to continue. I owe you some answers to questions, but cannot continue with the guest unable to boot. On the other hand, I have another guest with the same symptoms, but a different version of XP. May I continue with that second one and reply to your questions, or is this the end of the road? Personally, I am anxious to get the USB working with some version of XP, and need only a specific one of my several SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB2s to work with it.
Old bowler

Post by Old bowler »

Apologies. I hadn't spotted your last comment before I made my last post. Have (I think) followed your instructions and am attaching V7.7z.
Thank you.
Attachments
V7.7z
(6.65 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, to set the USB3 settings to what they're supposed to be, issue the commands:
  • 
    cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"      <-- change it if not the default installation
    VBoxManage setextradata V7 VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201
If unsure of your typing skills, Copy/Paste the commands.

Second, you seriously need to get rid of your snapshots. Now! 13 live snapshots? You're playing with fire! Start by removing the one before the last one and work your way down, leaving only the last snapshot. Why do you want that many snapshots? Snapshots are fragile, you have to worry about 26 files going wrong right now!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Old bowler

Post by Old bowler »

Thank you for the warning re snapshots - have now removed all but the last one.
Thanks also for the instructions to remove the error in my extradata - the V7.vbox file now reads,
"ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType" value="uPD720201"/>".
However, the VM fails to boot, giving a notice:-
VirtualBox.exe - Application Error
The exception breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occurred in the application at location
0x00007FFB2D089BE3.
Click on OK to terminate the program"
The details of the error message read:-
"The VM session was aborted.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}"
Last edited by socratis on 24. Jun 2018, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
Old bowler

Post by Old bowler »

Socratis, thanks for your help. I intended to install this on my wife's computer, but wanted to first make sure it worked. Have now anyway set it up for her, and it all works fine, USB2.0 detected and captured. Can't label this thread as solved, as it will offer no final solution to anyone with a similar problem, but I learned some important stuff from your comments and instructions.
Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Old bowler wrote:Can't label this thread as solved, as it will offer no final solution to anyone with a similar problem, but I learned some important stuff from your comments and instructions.
As will this thread do for anyone coming in with a similar problem; a good reading. ;)

Marking as [Resolved].