[Solved] Windows Me Guru Meditation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ProENTITY

[Solved] Windows Me Guru Meditation

Post by ProENTITY »

I have a problem: I can not start Windows ME in the VirtualBox, it tells me "Goru Meditation"
Last edited by socratis on 28. May 2018, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Me Guru Meditation

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the "Discuss: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes" thread. To begin with, you're not dealing with Win95/98...

Did the message in the Guru Meditation error say anything more? Anything that you should do?

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

tells me: A critical error occurred while the virtual machine was running and the machine was stopped.
For help, see the Community section or the support contract. Provide the contents of the VBox.log log file and the VBox.png image file, which you can find in the C: \ Users \ Proen \ VirtualBox VMs \ CVCVCV \ Logs folder, as well as a description of what you were doing when the 'error. Note that you can also access these files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to turn off the machine or Ignore if you want to leave it as it is for debugging. Note that debugging requires specific knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press OK right away.

and then with windows 98 I have this problem: it tells me this even if I give it 8GB memory: quit one or memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart your computer.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ProENTITY wrote:it tells me this even if I give it 8GB memory
What do you mean by "memory"?

You can't give 8GB RAM to a Win98 VM: it has no idea what to do with it. It's a 32bit OS, in fact it's partly still a 16bit OS. My own Win98 VM is configured for 256MB, which would have been a very good spec back in the day. 8GB RAM didn't become the norm until well into the Win7 era.

If "memory" meant disk size: you also can't give a Win98 VM an 8GB hard disk either. Try 2GB.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

instead about Win ME?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

If you had read the FAQ that Socratis linked to and also the text of the error message, you would by now have posted the log files and we might have had a chance at helping diagnose the cause of your issue.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ProENTITY wrote:instead about Win ME?
What I said applies to all 32bit WinDOS versions, including ME.

As Andy says, we can't begin to address your actual problem until you provide a VM log.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

He tells me it's too big!
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

here! I did it! but it is a .zip because otherwise it was not good
Attachments
VboxlogWindowsME.zip
(44.89 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

however with Windows 98 it keeps telling me the same thing! just in case here are the Vbox.log of Win 98
Attachments
Win98log.zip
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:04.175043 RamSize <integer> = 0x000000008f900000 (2 408 579 072, 2 297 MB, 2.2 GB)
As mpack said, this is way too much RAM for Window Me -s et it to 128MB or 256MB
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:04.175295 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
This may be a bit on the overkill for and Windows 95/98/Me guest. Set it to 32MB which will probably be more than enough for anything you would want to do with such a guest.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:10.713222 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
This is the problem that your guest is encountering. It means that the guest operating system (possibly a driver within it) has done something very bad.

If changing the two settings above don't help then you need to start making some sensible changes to see if you can narrow down the problem. Start by disabling 2D/3D acceleration, then audio, then networking. You probably also want to eject the installation media from the virtual CD drive too.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

how can I change the RAM?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shut down the VM. Go to the VM Settings » System » Base Memory. Set that to 256 MB.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ProENTITY

Post by ProENTITY »

but then fails to install it or am I wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You are wrong.