Windws XP and D3D Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
studanser

Windws XP and D3D Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Post by studanser »

Hi,

I am using VirtualBox 5.2.6. I have a Windows XP VM with 2D/3D acceleration enabled and the (experimental) D3D support. Dxdiag showed that v8, v9 passed (v7 failed).

I tried to run "Star Trek: Bridge Commander" (2002) but got a D3D error, immediately:
D3D Render Creation Error
Error string from rendered was: ""
Is there anything I can do to get this to work? Or is there some way to get diagnostics that would help fix this in a future version?

The game requires DirectX 8.0a.
Last edited by socratis on 20. May 2018, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windws XP and D3D Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Post by socratis »

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit hence the strict requirements for the graphics card (GPU) specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For what's worth it, I downloaded and installed said game and I got the exact error message. WinXP guest fully updated with the latest 5.2.12 GAs. I guess the VirtualBox virtual GPU is not good enough for this game...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.