VBox on win 10 - blue screen on install of XP guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Swell

VBox on win 10 - blue screen on install of XP guest

Post by Swell »

VBox Xp-pro.PNG
VBox Xp-pro.PNG (23.72 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
I have tried a number of times to do this install always the same result.

[quote}VirtualBox-5.2.8-121009-Win.exe
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.8.vbox-extpack[/quote]
My Laptop.PNG
My Laptop.PNG (14.57 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
In the past I have successfully installed the same XP-Pro op system on win 7 on this laptop.. using Virtual Box 4.3.18

I created the VirtualBox added the Vm extension pack(Didn't need an extension pack previously to my recollection) then attempted to install XP..
Any assistance would be appreciated.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VBox on win 10 - blue screen on install of XP guest

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it. It might also be beneficial to add the .vbox file for the guest into the zip so we can see whether you have wandered away from the defaults.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Where did this XP image come from?
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack...
Image is from the screen of the install of the guest
Swell

Post by Swell »

andyp73 wrote:We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it. It might also be beneficial to add the .vbox file for the guest into the zip so we can see whether you have wandered away from the defaults.

-Andy.
Will post the log files after I am able to make another attempt
FrodoHobbits
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, QNX & Linux

Post by FrodoHobbits »

Swell wrote:mpack...
Image is from the screen of the install of the guest
I think mpack was referring to the XP ISO or CD not the actual picture you posted :D
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack wrote:Where did this XP image come from?
ISO image on a CD I have used numerous times previously.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Swell wrote:ISO image on a CD I have used numerous times previously.
If it is a legitimate Windows XP installation CD then we can continue to provide support once we see the log file. If it is a "CD of dubious origin" then we have no idea what it is and what may have been changed on it that could potentially be causing an issue with VirtualBox.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, talking about the screenshot, the fact that the caption says "XP Pro SP3" IMHO means that this definitely didn't come from a normal install from a Microsoft ISO. There are important steps missing from this story.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BAD_POOL_HEADER, STOP 0x00000019, on "acpi.sys" (twice). That's a rarity, got to admit that...

Can you right-click on the VM, "Show in Explorer", ZIP that ".vbox" file and attach it to your response?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack wrote:Well, talking about the screenshot, the fact that the caption says "XP Pro SP3" IMHO means that this definitely didn't come from a normal install from a Microsoft ISO. There are important steps missing from this story.
True it was built using "winlite" to include service packs since the original release.
As I mentioned in my original submission I have used this very same CD on a couple of installs, successfully, using an earlier version of Virtualbox on This same laptop. The host OS was win 7 home premium 64 bit.
As at this point in time I haven't had another attempt to do the install again to obtain the requested log files.
Swell

Post by Swell »

I have just completed a successful install of XP Pro 32 on my VirtualBox. The only thing I did differently to my previous attempts was to use a dynamic guest disk instead of a fixed 10 gig disk.

For your information. The previous attempts never reached the point of interacting with me or displaying the windows installation window.
BTW there is ample room for the fixed disk on my C drive.
Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Swell wrote:I have just completed a successful install of XP Pro 32 on my VirtualBox. The only thing I did differently to my previous attempts was to use a dynamic guest disk instead of a fixed 10 gig disk.
That makes as much difference to the outcome as the color of a car that runs you over. Dynamic and fixed VDI formats are identical, only the allocation strategy differs. There is nothing you could do inside the guest to detect the difference, so how could the difference cause a crash?

No. The new install worked because it was different from the first install in some unknown (because you haven't given us the info) way.
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack I am attachiing 2 log files the older first-VBox.zip (failed) install, I see there are quite a few of these "error" messages.
cached rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER

hmm will post the logs anyway but just realised maybe I didn't run it as an administrator :oops:
second-VBox.zip
successful install
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
successful install
first-VBox.zip
(22.92 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
failed install.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Apr 2018, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Swell

Post by Swell »

I side issue..
One of the reasons for installing XP is that I have a game that I like to play from time to time from a no longer existing game manufacturer "EA" well not that I can find.

It never has been able to run in VirtualBox and I guess it will never work in VB.

The problem is , it requests to have the CD placed in the CD drive, when trying to run it. It is checking that it is the original disk.

The game installs into the virtual environment ok.

Will this game ever be able to be played on a VM? :?: :roll:

After I first purchased this game I copied the disk "trying to preserve the disk from mishaps "but it would never run the game from the copy".