Critical Error - Guru Meditation

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ching

Critical Error - Guru Meditation

Post by Ching »

This critical error message appears when I start up my VirtualBox ever since the Windows 7 Ultimate OS within the Virtual Machine ran an update upon shutdown a few days ago. If I click OK the machine force shuts down and upon reboot it asks to start Windows normally or in safe mode(s). If I click the ignore button the error message disappears but the machine is completely unresponsive with no Windows "Start" icon the lower left-hand corner. Has anyone encountered this issue? The computer I have the VirtualBox installed on is operating on Windows 7 Professional. I suspect the newest version of VitrualBox (5.2.10) will likely fix this issue but it's not available for Windows hosts yet. Does anyone know when that will be released? Any guidance towards the solution of this issue will be greatly appreciated. VBox log to follow...
Attachments
Error Message
Error Message
VirtualBox - Guru Meditation.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 10306 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical Error - Guru Meditation

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ching

Post by Ching »

Thank you socratis! Here is the log:
Attachments
ETKA-PET-2018-04-19-09-20-09.zip
VBox.log.1
(57.58 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.944292 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. Then re-install the GAs in the guest.
00:00:00.902161 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001b00000 (28 311 552, 27 MB)
And while you're in the Display settings, increase that to 128 MB.
00:00:15.944883 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.18 r114002 '5.1.18'
Your GAs are seriously outdated. Install the GAs that come with 5.2.8, the version of VirtualBox that you have installed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ching

Post by Ching »

I can't seem to install Guest Additions due to the error I'm experiencing. Is there another method?
Attachments
GA Fail.jpg
GA Fail.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you boot in safe mode? By pressing (smashing) the F8 key right after the VM starts up?

That would be also a good test to see if the VM gets into Guru Meditation when booted in safe mode...
Ching

Post by Ching »

Attempts to "Insert Guest Additions CD image...." are unsuccessful in both "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with Networking" :(

Here is an attachment of a screenshot of the advanced boot options I am presented with upon startup while holding F8. Any other suggestions?
Attachments
Advanced Boot Options.zip
(101.26 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Ching wrote:Attempts to "Insert Guest Additions CD image...." are unsuccessful in both "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with Networking"
So, after you "Insert Guest Additions CD image...." there is nothing in the CD drive of your guest? If not, something is really going wrong with your setup...

BTW, "Safe Mode with Networking" is the one I usually choose...
Ching

Post by Ching »

I was able to update Guest Additions in "Safe Mode with Networking". Thank you. Still having the same "Guru Meditation" error issue upon startup though :-(

Here is a new log for you to look at. Any other suggestions?
Attachments
ETKA-PET-2018-04-23-10-16-10.zip
(67.66 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:04.135436 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached
                rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x7 cHits=1
                \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
You might want to upgrade your host's ATI drivers. There seems that something is wrong with your current installation...
메로

Post by 메로 »

please help me solve this problem
Attachments
VBox.rar
(51.25 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

메로, I am sorry, but we cannot help with this problem.

First, you need to start a new topic instead of using someone else's topic.

Second, you are trying a Mac guest on non-Mac hardware, which is illegal. Please see OSX guests on non-Apple hardware

If you have trouble running a Windows or Linux VM on your computer, please feel free to start a new topic and we will try to help you.