[Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: [Solved] Code 19 Standard PS/2 Keyboard - not working

Post by Martin »

No, the problem was a P2Ved installation with a non standard keyboard driver which was installed in a way which kept Windows 10 from falling back to the standard driver.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Martin wrote:a non standard keyboard driver which was installed in a way...
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out; what was "THE way" that was preventing the most basic driver from getting installed. What was so restrictive about this specific installation? A Win10 installation nonetheless.

I'm not talking about Win3.1 where you had to specify what kind of hardware you had, and if there were changes, you had to go through a series of hoops to get it up and running again (aye, aye, aye... :roll: ). I'm talking about the latest and greatest in a Plug'n'Play OS. Utterly perplexing behavior...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Without knowing the exact details, I have to assume that the VM had the "wrong" standard PS/2 keyboard driver installed. Since it's not a PnP device, can't be unplugged etc., the troublemaking driver won't automatically go away.
douirc

Post by douirc »

Hi everyone, just wanted to offer an update. There was only one regedit key that required a very small change:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Value Name: UpperFilters
Value Data (Original): SynTP kbdclass
Value Data (Revised): kbdclass

I simply removed the reference to synaptic by deleting SynTP, rebooted and the keyboard started working again. Simple solution that only took me forever to figure out :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. It seems that keyboard filter is a problem in the physical world too. Perhaps this link is where you get the info from?

Microsoft Answers: Keyboard doesn't work (code 19).
Hourra

Post by Hourra »

douirc wrote:Hi everyone, just wanted to offer an update. There was only one regedit key that required a very small change:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Value Name: UpperFilters
Value Data (Original): SynTP kbdclass
Value Data (Revised): kbdclass

I simply removed the reference to synaptic by deleting SynTP, rebooted and the keyboard started working again. Simple solution that only took me forever to figure out :)
Thank you for your tip !
It also solved my case. Just for Google : I had a virtualized Lenovo VM with VMWare Converter with Windows 10, and no other solution than yours solved the "keyboard not working" on VirtualBox and Ubuntu.
I've specially created my account to thank you.

So, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!