Error: Using a Windows 7 Iso Image to create a Virtual Machine does´n´t support virtualization

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Joaquin

Error: Using a Windows 7 Iso Image to create a Virtual Machine does´n´t support virtualization

Post by Joaquin »

Hi folks!

I really hope you could help with this problem. In this case, I already create two Virtual Machines in Oracle VirtualBox 5.2, using an iso image with WIndows 72/32 Bits in one of them. The other virtual machine was created using an iso image with Windows 7/64 Bits. Everything was Ok with these two virtual machines, but I need to install a demo application who was created with VirtualBox 4.24.

When I tried to execute the setup file of this application, the third step of the installation proccess showed me an error: "Setup File doesn´t support or enable Virtualization". This failure ocurred on the two virtual machines created, which not make possible to install that application. When I go to the setting of the virtual box I checked the options of VT-x/AMD-v hardware virtualization. I would really appreciate your suggestions to solve this situation.

Thans a lot!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error: Using a Windows 7 Iso Image to create a Virtual Machine does´n´t support virtualization

Post by socratis »

Joaquin wrote:I need to install a demo application who was created with VirtualBox 4.24.
A demo that was created with VirtualBox? What does that mean, can you explain it a little bit?
Joaquin wrote:"Setup File doesn´t support or enable Virtualization"
If the program is looking for hardware virtualization features, there are none in the VM. VT-x does not get passed through to a guest. That setting that you refer to enables or disables VT-x on the host for that specific VM, it doens't mean that the VM has VT-x capabilities; it doesn't.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Joaquin

Re: Error: Using a Windows 7 Iso Image to create a Virtual Machine does´n´t support virtualization

Post by Joaquin »

Thanks for your answer. Don´t you know another way to transfer the VT-x capabilities to the guest. My application needs these capabilities to be downloaded on the VM (my virtual machine guest) and operates normally.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

No. That is the way it is. VirtualBox does not support nested virtualization. In simple terms that means that you cannot run a vm in a vm if it requires hardware virtualization.
Bill
Joaquin

Post by Joaquin »

Thanks a lot for your comments. I really need to solve taht problem. Don't you know another way, for example to install a virtual machine with Windows 7 on VMWare platform, and then download and install the setup file of the application that runs on a virtualbox (Virtual Machine) at the guest OS. How can I transfer the Vt-x capabilities using another virtual machine application? Please let me know if you cuold give me a solution or an idea