[Solved] Screen resolution issues with Mac retina display

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Screen resolution issues with Mac retina display

Post by socratis »

Oh boy... This is a tough one, doesn't want to get installed now, does it? Based on a couple of articles that I've read:
  • Search for and delete all VBox* and VirtualBox* files from your system.
  • Clean up your registry. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Something's not right in the Windows world.
But that's not news now, is it? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

I tried both recommendations. Still the same.

Then I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64251

And the OP's log is exactly the same as mine. I tried the proposed solution to uninstall GA from cmd, then restart/reinstall GA - but that didn't work.

Then found this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75759&start=15

Which led me to try safe mode. Still no.

At this point my entire install is broken, with a tiny Windows screen. This is why I was hesitant to start messing with things. So, I think I just bought myself a complete reinstall of VM, then WIn10, then 3 layers of software on top of that to get back where I was just to run a single program. Great.
SBoat

Guest Additions 5.2.2 install fails - OSX host/Win 10 guest

Post by SBoat »

Hardware is Macbook Air 11" vintage 2011
Host Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
Guest Windows 10 /16299

I'd been running VB 5.2.1 and Guest Additions with no porblems but was trying to update to 5.2.2. Guest Additions failed to install after several tries. It hung on driver install.
I looked around the net and tried to enable 3d accelleration but when I did, the mouse was hidden.

After several tires I gave up and downloaded and installed VB 5.2 and have had no problems. I tried to find 5.2.1 but couldn't find the download.

Any ideas would be appreciated or I'll try again after 5.2.3 is released. Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<sigh>
What's today? The I-can't-install-the-Win-GAs day?
</sigh>

@SBoat
I merged your topic with an existing one that deals with the same exactly problem (despite the title of the thread), just to save on the duplicate posts. Can you please point whether you're using the 32-bit or the 64-bit Win10 version? Thank you for including the build number...

Just to recap the situation:
  • MacBookPro10,2 w/ OSX 10.13.1, VirtualBox 5.2.2 running Win10-x64 (1709), build 16299.
  • MacBookAir4,1 w/ OSX 10.13.2, VirtualBox 5.2.2 running Win10-x?? (1709), build 16299.
For me the host hardware or the host OS should be irrelevant. The VirtualBox version, and most importantly the Win10 build, are the ones that (in my mind) we should be focusing on.

I have a Win10-x64 (1607), build 14393.1480 (yes, I prefer to keep them outdated). I will try to update it to 1709, build 16299 and see if I can replicate the problem. In the meantime, here are some things that can be tried:
  • Uninstall the GAs from the Control Panel » Programs and Features. Or from the Settings » System » Apps & Features » Related settings, Programs and Features (all the way to the bottom). The GAs should be there, uninstall them from there.
  • If you can't find the GAs' uninstall entry, run: "D:\VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe /uninstall" from an elevated Command Prompt (start it with Run-as-Administrator), where "D:\" is your (virtual) CD drive.
  • If the above fails, search for and delete all VBox* and VirtualBox* files from your system.
    Clean up your registry with CCleaner. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
  • It won't hurt if you do all of the above steps in that order. Just remember to reboot your guest at regular intervals in between the installs/uninstalls. Reboot from within your guest that is...
  • You do NOT need to boot your Win10 into safe mode. This is only required for the WinXP guests and the Win7 guests (with the Direct3D drivers). But I guess it won't hurt either.
PS: @SBoat, there will not be a 5.2.23 release. The odd number versions are the intermediate ones in between the major releases, i.e. between 5.2.2 and 5.2.4. That's also why you can't find 5.2.1, since as soon as 5.2.2 came out, it became obsolete. These builds are also known as the test builds or developer builds. Stable as the released ones, but without all the bells and whistles (primarily documentation and packaging).

PPS: @ShaneM, I was mistaken when I said that I haven't seen the GAs installation fail before, since I was clearly involved in a discussion dealing with exactly the same thing. "Thank you" for pointing out the onset of Alzheimer's... :shock: :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

@socratis

I've essentially tried all of these things and I'm still in the same situation. Currently it's at a low resolution, and also running very laggy. No GA.

At this point I would love to just get it running without seconds of lag. It's gotten a lot worse since I started fiddling with it and it's now not useable. I'm not sure what to try next.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:I'm drawing a blank. Something's not right in the Windows world.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

@socratis.

OK, I started from scratch - reinstalled Windows and everything else using a new VM. I set the Monitor to "more space" and in Windowed mode, it looks fine. But, it's crazy laggy. When I click on MS Edge, it takes 17 seconds from clicking to loading the homepage. Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll have to see a log:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Here ya go!

edit: I played around with some settings, and doubled the RAM and (more importantly) the processor cores from 1 to 2, and it's moving much better now. Before, it would peg the CPU just by loading the Win start button. Now it hits 50%. Loading Edge happens in about 1-2 seconds, and pegs the CPU at/near 100 but it's very short. Before, it would peg the CPU for 5+ seconds.

That said, I'm interested in your take still, as I'd like to make it as optimal as possible. Thanks!
Attachments
WIndows 10-2018-01-19-07-45-44.log.zip
(25.92 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First thing that I noticed is that you don't have the 3D acceleration enabled. Shut down the VM, enable 3D acceleration, increase the vRAM to 256 from 128 MB, and re-install the Guest Additions (GAs). Oh, and please eject the GAs CD after you're done installing them (as opposed to what you have done now).
VirtualBox VM 5.2.2 r119230 darwin.amd64 (Nov 22 2017 17:32:08) release log
There are newer VirtualBox versions available. Because of an issue with the latest 5.2.6 release, I would strongly suggest that you download the latest 5.2.x test build.
00:00:02.138585 NumCPUs  <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.138591 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)
00:00:02.373125 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
As you noticed yourself, doubling the RAM and the CPUs given to the guest has a real, measurable effect. Win10-64 is not your small requirements guest.

Mind you though, you only have 2 physical CPUs in your host, and you're assigning them both to the VM. If you see any weird behavior, especially when the system is under stress, you might want to lower that to 1. Not that much you can do about it...
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Thanks Socratis. I upgraded to 4.2.7, doubled VRAM to 256, reinstalled GA and ejected. It was already running much snappier with doubling RAM and CPU. Now I'd say it's a smidge better still.

I've noticed no issues with the CPU at 2. The slider indicates that I have 4, and 2 is still in the "green" so I'm not sure the disparity there but it seems fine in both guest and host to me. At this point I'd say I'm happy.

Which brings me to my final question, which was ironically, my first question. The display window.

In windowed mode, on my Retina display, it takes up 75% of the screen which is quite nice. But in full screen mode, it takes up the same amount, leaving black bars all around.
I also have a 2nd monitor at 2560x1440. Over there, it's taking up about 1/4 of the screen both in windowed and full screen mode. Is there any chance I can (easily) switch into a full-full screen mode on the Retina display, and also easily switch into more real estate on the 2nd monitor (when I choose to use it?)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I noticed that you have a DisplayPort in your setup. Could you shut down VirtualBox, wait for 1', and ZIP/attach two files? One is the "/Users/ShaneM/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" and the other one is your VM's recipe: right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show in Finder.

ZIP the ".vbox" and the "VirtualBox.xml" files and attach them.

Then just for kicks, try with one monitor at a time. Make sure it works with a simple setup before you move into a more convoluted one. I have 3 monitors, all different resolutions and I can have it full-screen in whichever monitor I want, so I know it's doable...
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

I disconnected Displayport and tried just the one monitor by itself (after shutting down the VM entirely). Still the same - only takes up 75% of the display... does that change what log you'd want to see?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ShaneM wrote:does that change what log you'd want to see?
No, it doesn't.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Here they are.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 45 times