Windows 10 guest desktop still full screen in Seamless mode

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SpoZen
Primary OS: Debian Wheezy
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows 10

Re: Windows 10 guest desktop still full screen in Seamless mode

Post by SpoZen »

I have the same issue.
What ticket do we follow seems like there are several?

Code: Select all

VirtualBox 5.026 r108824 
Host: Ubuntu 64 bit 16.04 with 4.4.0.34 kernel  
Guest: Windows 64 bit Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.545)
rbarthle17

Post by rbarthle17 »

Add this as a "me too" post. Looks like this has been an issue for some time. WOnder if it will get dealt with.

OS X El Capitan host v5.0.26
Guest Windows 10 Home 64-bit
popanz

Post by popanz »

Another a "me too" post...
Host: Win7 64bit
Guest: Win10 32bit and Win10 64bit.
Virtualbox Version: 5.1.20

Seamless mode still not working.
This issue now exists since almost 2 years!!
See Virtualbox bugtracking ticket #14493 and #15092

Will this issue ever be fixed?
It makes using the current Windows Version as guest almost useless - so not really unimportant!
:(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

popanz wrote:It makes using the current Windows Version as guest almost useless - so not really unimportant!
"Almost useless"? So, if you can't use seamless, you can't use the guest? I do understand your needs (so do the developers I believe), but exaggeration never really helped anyone. If it was a bug, you wouldn't categorize is as "blocker", but as "annoyance".

BTW, adding a comment to every ticket that has the symptoms can lead to one thing; pissing off the developers. Especially if it's a copy/paste, and it shows that you don't even bother to change the description.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
simondcoleman

Post by simondcoleman »

True for me with:
Win10 Host, V 5.0.22, extension pack installed, multiple monitors (3x)
All guests have the current (5.0.22) guest additions installed.

Win XP & Win7 64 bit:
Seamless works well

Ubuntu 16.04 guest with Unity session switched for Gnome :
Seamless windows work, but some desktop problems exist.
Non-window content is only rendered on top of an existing window, so you either put up with a peculiar viewport or are required to have a maximised window.
The menubar at the top that contains task icons (network/power/time etc) is not displayed, although space for them are reserved at the top of the monitor.
[I have yet to check whether udating to 17.04 & gnome >3.20 changes this]

Win10 Guest:
Seamless doesn't work correctly at all.
Behaviour looks identical to windowed+maximised.
When any window in the guest is selected then the whole of the guest display comes to the foreground, overlying all other host/guest windows on the host monitor.
There is no window interleaving between different machines.

simon
Rdavison39

Post by Rdavison39 »

I'm experiencing same problems today on version 5.2 4r119785 on Windows 10 (and guest OS is W10)

Guest Desktop does not disappear and i have 2 task bars on my screen (1 for Host OS and the other for the guest OS)

I thought in seamless the Guest Desktop is suppose to disappear.....

Has there been a fix for this or is this still an outstanding issue.
Rob. S.
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win 7, Win 10, eComStation 2.1

Post by Rob. S. »

Same thing here, Windows 10 seamless covers the host's desktop with its own background either completely (Ubuntu Mate 16.04 host) or at least 75~80% (Windows 7 host). This has been the case for a very long time (5.1.x) and continues to be so with the current release (5.2.4).

This is on a Thinkpad X220T with Intel HD 3000 graphics.

VirtualBox is getting less and less usable for me; now I had to roll back from 5.2 to 5.1 because the Windows 7 guest had become completely invisible in seamless mode.

Oh, and comments like "adding a comment to every ticket that has the symptoms can lead to one thing; pissing off the developers" can lead to one thing: pissing off the users even more. And I say that as a developer (even if not for VirtualBox). As long as there is no feedback from development saying yes, this is a problem the severity of which we've understood and we're working on it, it is totally in order for victims of the issue to say hey, I'm affected too – if only to reduce the chance of the issue being underestimated because someone might think not enough people were affected by it.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

As a developer you will be fully conversant with the concept of priorities. Oracle's priorities for VirtualBox come from their paying customers. There are plenty of folks on the boards that have a wish list (macOS GA is mine) but as I don't have enough $$$$ to get the developers attention I have to live with what there is.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Rob. S. wrote:Oh, and comments like "adding a comment to every ticket that has the symptoms can lead to one thing; pissing off the developers" can lead to one thing: pissing off the users even more.
I was the one that made that original comment, and I'm sticking by it.

Have you heard of the story "The boy who cried wolf"? It's kind of like that. Yell "Wolf" too many times and the "villagers" will ignore you... You said it once, twice, thrice. Isn't it enough? Do you have to wake up every villager?

And no, it was not aimed at everyone (as a group) and everything, it was very specifically targeted to a single user that woke up every ticket that mentioned "seamless", whether it was applying in their case or not; a mention of seamless was enough. If you monitored the traffic in the ticket tracker, you'd share my feelings. Especially because you're a developer...

PS. Speaking of developers, the developers have asked the following in ticket #17304:
michael wrote:If anyone seeing this is able to build VirtualBox it would be greatly appreciated if you could bisect this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rob. S.

Post by Rob. S. »

Ok, while I don't think the cry-wolf story is a fitting example for what you wanted to demonstrate, I think I do see your point. No offense.
wxl
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: mainly Windows

Post by wxl »

socratis wrote: PS. Speaking of developers, the developers have asked the following in ticket #17304:
michael wrote:If anyone seeing this is able to build VirtualBox it would be greatly appreciated if you could bisect this.
Unfortunately, that particular bug was originally concerning Windows 7 guests and further comments were from folks mainly using Linux guests. There was, in my experience, global corruption of seamless across guests in general that I saw resolved in this change (in particular, with XP). However, it did not change the original problem: Windows 10. I would advise looking at ticket #15092.

Something I note there that's particularly weird is several cases of "it works fine," shortly followed by "it's not working." In my case, I found this occurring within a single session.
popanz

Post by popanz »

socratis wrote:"Almost useless"? So, if you can't use seamless, you can't use the guest? I do understand your needs (so do the developers I believe), but exaggeration never really helped anyone. If it was a bug, you wouldn't categorize is as "blocker", but as "annoyance".
This is definitely not an exaggeration!
I'm using several VM's and it's extremely cumbersome with seamless mode not working. That's why I'm still using WinXP for the VM's, which I really have to finish now. (Directly wanna switch to Win10 and not doing another timeconsuming reinstall with Win7 in between.) And I'm waiting patiently since years for VirtualBox finally taking care of this problem. Just installed the newest version, but still no change. Very frustrating. :-(

Can anyone recommend another nice VM software, which is capable of a seamless mode for Win10 guests?
I'm giving up with Virtualbox now....
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

popanz wrote: Can anyone recommend another nice VM software, which is capable of a seamless mode for Win10 guests?
I'm giving up with Virtualbox now....
Any such discussion will be deleted. These are VirtualBox user forums, not "promote other software" forums. If you no longer want to use VirtualBox then that's your choice, goodbye.
Rob. S.

Post by Rob. S. »

That's the right spirit. The great big spirit of Open Source and the "community" around it, meet it live in the virtualbox.org forums. Belittling bugs instead of fixing them, and getting rude when people start looking elsewhere. Good for the image of the big company in the background, too (ok, that's probably a hopeless case anyway – it's just sad for the good people who started VirtualBox back in the days).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Do you have some kind of mental block? Do you completely fail to understand that these are USER DISCUSSION FORUMS! We are NOT DEVELOPERS, NOT TECHNICAL SUPPORT, NOT CUSTOMER SUPPORT, WE DONT CARE WHAT SOFTWARE YOU CHOOSE.

The purpose of these forums is to allow VirtualBox users to chat to other VirtualBox users. If you are not a VirtualBox user then your chat is off topic here - and will be deleted.

I have to say that I have a low tolerance for trolls too.