Live video feed doesn't show up (ZOSI)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dolphone

Live video feed doesn't show up (ZOSI)

Post by dolphone »

Host is Ubuntu 16.04
Guest is Windows 10 Creators Edition

Host has 6700K CPU and Nvidia 1070 (381.22 driver)

Guest always has:
  • It has 2 cores that can go to 100%
  • 2GB Memory
  • 256MB Video Memory
Guest permuations I've tried:
  • Enable/Disable 2D/3D Acceleration
  • Different Audio Controller/Driver
  • Paravirtualization Interface set to Legacy or None (when set to default it wont boot)
  • Miscellaneous guesses surrounding things like "EFI" , "PIIX3", "PAE/NX", "VT-x/AMD-V", "Enable Nested Paging"
I don't see anything in the BIOS about virtualization other than VT-d, which is enabled. Both the host and guest are 100% updated. The guest has VLC installed, Java installed, Flash installed, Visual Studio installed, and it can even play steam games. It has no problems playing videos off of youtube or from local files.

The video that doesn't show up is for my ZOSI home security camera system. The video shows up on my phone and it shows up on the app if I boot into windows. However, for some reason on virtual box it's just a gray rectangle. Now, it does show framerates AND you can take a still image so it absolutely is getting through to virtualbox. The problem is for some reason video will not play. I contacted ZOSI support and so far they haven't been helpful.
Dear Sean,
Thanks for contacting us, we are really sorry for the late response.
Please try to download the ZOSI VIEW pc client from below link and install it checking whether it can work.
hypertexttransferprotocol||support.zositech. c o m /hc/en-us/articles/115000840948-PC-Client-ZOSI-VIEW
Here is a video about how to set up it for your reference.
hypertexttransferprotocol||youtu. b e /i76V77QyL94
More questions, please feel free to contact us, thanks.
Have a nice day!
Best regards
Moon
I tried this same thing on Linux Mint with the Nvidia 375 drivers and it was exactly the same. I've run out of ideas but this isn't really something I know a lot about. Do you have any suggestions?
Attachments
omg.png
omg.png (117.47 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
20170730_022907.jpg
20170730_022907.jpg (105.64 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
vb.png
vb.png (114.33 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
Last edited by dolphone on 30. Jul 2017, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Live video feed doesn't show up (ZOSI)

Post by socratis »

How are you trying to access the camera, i.e. how do you "connect" the camera to the guest?
And please, don't use 3rd party image hosting sites, attach the image locally. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dolphone

Post by dolphone »

I'm not actually sure how you connect. In the app you just double click the camera icon and the feed shows up. How the traffic is actually routed I assume the security system DVR registers its IP with ZOSI's servers and then the app uses that to connect directly. But, I mean, like I said it is going through because if I press the button to take a picture that will work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. VT-d is not necessary, unless you plan to use a 2nd GPU that you're trying to pass to your guest. This is not the case. What you're confusing it with (most probably) is VT-x, or virtualization technology, or similar. You do have that enabled, otherwise your Win10x64 guest would not start at all.
  2. If you don't know how you connect to your camera, do you expect me to know??? Anyway, this is a guess, but this is most probably an IP-based camera and you connect to it via the network. In that case, you should change the default "NAT" mode to "Bridged" mode.
  3. If you change it to "Bridged" over a WiFi card and your guest does not get an IP, or it gets an IP of 169.254.x.x (which means self-assigned), then try to change it to "Bridged" over Ethernet, i.e. a Bridged over a wired connection.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
collin

Post by collin »

I have the same issue. Tried with local box windows installs (win7) and zosi view had the video stream broadcast showing fine without any special codec or other software installed and also using the active x addon. A different deal is the result using virtualbox, tried winxp(32), win7(32/67) and win10(64) to make sure it wasn't a windows issue and always the video broadcast didn't show although there were markers that showed connection and time running on both computer install and active x install.
I have other brand of camera that uses remote view too and broadcast is working using active x.
I thought at first that virtualbox was the issue, but due to I can use another brand of camera broadcast under it, it made me think that probably the server is missing some feature in order to be used on virtualbox.

Any ideas welcomed.