2 questions about disk images

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
maker675

2 questions about disk images

Post by maker675 »

1) When I backup the host computer (Mac OSX / Time Machine) I shut down the Windows Guest first to "make sure" that everything is backed up. Is it stupid to do this? Will the backup of the virtual machine be just fine if Windows10 is still running? (That would be easier!)

2) I installed Windows 10 Guest from a downloaded disk image. At some point deleted that from my MacBook Pro SSD to free up space. As a result every time I launch VirtualBox there's an error saying it can't find the disk image. Can I get rid of that error? Was there any reason to keep the Windows installer on the Host hard drive? (figured would just download it again if need to do a fresh install.)
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: 2 questions about disk images

Post by BillG »

1. I would not trust a backup of a running vm. I have no proof that anything could go wrong, I just don't do it.

2. You solve this just the same way as you would with a physical machine. Eject the "DVD" from the vm's optical drive.
Bill
maker675

Post by maker675 »

thanks @BillG, have now ejected the installer disk image from the optical drive in the media manager.

(I think I'd labelled both the installer disk image and the VM itself "Windows 10" so originally it wasn't clear that I wasn't about to eject the disk image of the VM itself rather than the installer. )

Problem solved. ;)
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Solved, but not the way I suggested. How did you translate "the same way as on a physical machine" into "delete the file from the media manager" ?

On a physical machine you physically remove the DVD from the drive or you eject it. On a vm you remove the image in the same way. You click the Devices tab and under Optical drive select Remove disk from virtual drive . If the vm is shutdown, you can do it from Settings, which is an improvement on a physical machine. Not many machines will let you remove a CD/DVD when the machine in powered down.

You do not need to remove it from the media manager. If you leave it there, you can use it again if required.
Bill
maker675

Post by maker675 »

Ah, I see what you mean.

(The "Devices" drop-down menu at the top of the screen in the Virtual Machine.)

I had deleted it from the "Virtual Media Manager" in the "File" drop-down menu of VirtuaBox, in which there is a Tab called "Optical Disks". Was just now able to delete something (else?) from the Optical Drive: I think it might have been the Guest Additions disk image. Good.

The trouble with being a user like me is that I set up VirtualBox for one VM (Windows 10) to be able to use various Windows softwares on my Mac. After that have done no more VM setups (just a little debugging). As a result, despite having used it for a couple of years, have made no progress in understanding the system and am easily confused by the terminology. In consequence I don't dare embark on trying to increase the size of the disk image for fear I do something terrible in the command line!

Thanks again.