Slow performance after upgrading to 5.1.22

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JohnnyOldWin

Slow performance after upgrading to 5.1.22

Post by JohnnyOldWin »

Hi Guys

I recently downloaded 5.1.22 and upgraded to it from 5.1.14.

Then I retried all VM I setup before .... all became very slow ....

The most problem one was Windows 2000. All my Windows 2000 VMs cannot load up and freeze at the loading screen. I can start the safe mode but it's super slow too.

Then I started a new VM, use a windows 98 boot disk image to try to install from scratch again. When the DOS part booting, the process was very slow and it stopped during the "PCI Scan" process for 3 mins.

It seems to me that the some issues with 5.1.22 ... Does anyone also find the same?

Rgds

Johnny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow performance after upgrading to 5.1.22

Post by socratis »

JohnnyOldWin wrote:It seems to me that the some issues with 5.1.22 ... Does anyone also find the same?
Not really. You posted this in the generic "Discuss the 5.1.22 release" thread, so I split your post and gave it an appropriate title.

Could you pick one VM only, boot it, observe the "slow" behavior, shut it down, right-click on it in the VirtualBox Manager, Show log, save it, ZIP IT, and attach it with your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JohnnyOldWin

Post by JohnnyOldWin »

Hi Socratis

Thank you so much for your help.

And sorry of posting it to a general thread... as I am new here.

I have attached the log.

This is a new VM setup as following:

My Guest OS:
--. A blank Win2K setup, disabled network
--. Dynamic disk c
--. Floppy A with a Win98 boot disk image

My host:
--. Windows 7 pro 64 bits, i5-5200 2.2 GHz, 16 GRam

So it's just a very simple machine that I tried to boot into DOS. And it's very slow loading....

One thing I noticed that in the log starting from 00:00:09 the VM reset the IDE ... and that 3 mins later it changing from running to suspending...

BTW, I installed the VM system in my C drive attached to SATA but the VM disk I created stored in an external USB SSD which I can easy change different disk for testing.

Not sure if that's related.

Rgds

Johnny
Attachments
Win2K test 3-2017-06-26-21-41-34.zip
log file
(19.85 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
JohnnyOldWin

Post by JohnnyOldWin »

Hi Socratis

It's still the same after upgraded to 5.1.24 ...... no clue at all

Rgds

Johnny
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

JohnnyOldWin wrote:no clue at all
Same here, all the logs look fine. Let's see if anyone else can find out something, because I couldn't...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JohnnyOldWin

Post by JohnnyOldWin »

Hi There

I just found that I was upgraded directly from 5.1.14 to 5.1.22....

Does it matter?

Thanks

Johnny
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, it doesn't.
PluX62

Post by PluX62 »

Hi,

I got the same "issue" with 5.1.22 upgrade on Windows 10 Host + Ubuntu 14 guest.

I joined *all* log files, even if the "VBox.log" was done with a 5.1.24 version.
Previous log files "VBox.log.[123]" were done with a 5.1.22 version (in conditions described below in this thread).

I hope this helps to point out what glued the graphics of my VM.

Regards,

PluX62
Attachments
vDevelDesk64-2017-07-23-21-56-51.log.zip
(136.21 KiB) Downloaded 7 times