Creating Win 7 VM fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
steve723

Creating Win 7 VM fails

Post by steve723 »

I am trying to create a Windows 7 32bit VM and get an error when starting from the DVD to install the OS. I get the following error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7.

Invalid parameter. (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Any idea how to fix this?
I tried Win XP but I only have SP1 and since it's no longer supported... I removed the VM and I am trying Win 7. To bad VB doesn't support 64 bit Win 7.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Creating Win 7 VM fails

Post by mpack »

You are trying to create a Win7 guest? So you post in "Linux Guests"? Clarify please.

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
steve723 wrote:To bad VB doesn't support 64 bit Win 7.
We prefer VirtualBox or VBox. "VB" means Visual Basic. VBox certainly does support Win7-64bit, both as host and guest.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

mpack wrote:You are trying to create a Win7 guest? So you post in "Linux Guests"? Clarify please.
Oops wrong forum. :roll: I missed read.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Moved to Windows Guests, but I'm still waiting for that log.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

It saved as a document file. How do I save it as a zip file?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you mean you opened the log in a program (Wordpad, Word, etc), don't. As far as ZIP, most operating systems have built-in support, so you can right-click on a file and ZIP it. It may say "Compress", "Archive" or something similar. Look in the documentation of your OS. What is your OS???
steve723 wrote:VB doesn't support 64 bit Win 7.
Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

Finally, read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance and provide some of the basic information asked.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.