USB Canon scanner passthru

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JeffDomogala

USB Canon scanner passthru

Post by JeffDomogala »

I am on version 5.1.14. The host is Windows 10 (64-bit) w/anniversary update. The guest is Windows XP (32-bit). I want to pass the USB scanner through to the guest. So, I attached to the USB device by right clicking the USB icon and selecting the device. I am not seeing the device on the guest. If I try to connect again, I get:

Failed to attach the USB device Canon CanoScan [0500] to the virtual machine XP.

USB device 'Canon CanoScan' with UUID {b1f68b3b-bdaf-45a2-b734-f6cf2583b6b4} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Suggestions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB Canon scanner passthru

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, don't use the icon, use the USB filter settings in the guest's Settings in the main Virtualbox window. (the little icon is for something else, what I'm not sure.)

Refer to Socratis's world-famous USB Fix List:
Socratis wrote:Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state which step failed:
1.Make sure that the Extension Pack is installed on the host. The same version as VirtualBox.
2.Make sure that at least USB 2.0 is enabled in your VM settings.
3.Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID. Check also http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids to make sure that you have the numbers correct.
4.Unplug the device.
5.Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
6.Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
JeffDomogala

Post by JeffDomogala »

I finally hit on a solution at this page:

http://www.cyberprogrammers.net/2015/04 ... -with.html

Method #2 (Registry mod) did the trick.

The symptom was all devices being shown as "busy" in the output of "VBoxManage list usbhost".

I hope this helps someone in the future because it took me quite a while to track it down.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The quoted article ranges
from completely wrong
to incomplete!

Sorry for using an eye-popping warning, I just wanted to get future searchers' attention first...

To those of you that navigate to the quoted article:
  • The first proposed method "uncheck "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" is plainly and simply wrong. First of all you don't check/uncheck that option since it's a radio-button with USB1, USB2 and USB3 options. Something's got to be selected. If the author means the "Enable USB controller" (the only checkbox in that dialog), yeah, disabling USB altogether will definitely fix the "busy with a previous request" error message. Same as if you set your computer on fire, you'll never get a "bad sector" or "SMART status" warning. Guaranteed.
  • The second proposed method is somewhat correct, up to the middle, yet ultimately short. The proposed troubleshooting is included in the list, see below part 8a.
  • The method proposed of setting up a filter is correct, but the sequence of events is wrong. If you connect your USB device before the VM starts, the USB filter will never have a chance of capturing the device, i.e. it's completely useless. You have to plug the USB device after your VM is completely start-up for the filter to work.
  • There's a lot more things that could be wrong. What scottgus1 showed is your typical, problem-free list. If there is a problem, there is a whole different list. See below for the (still being worked on) troubleshooting list.
Troubleshooting:
  1. If the device shows up in your host and is not captured by the filter, either the filter is incorrect, or there might be a problem with your filter installation.
  2. If the device shows up, but as "Unavailable", eject it from your host (if you can), but leave it plugged in. It should show up as available.
  3. On Linux guests, post the output of "lsusb". On Mac guest check the "System Information". On Windows, check the device manager, or get USBDeview, or USBView.
  4. Are you by any chance using a USB3 port? Does your guest support USB3? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... set-Family
  5. Is the VirtualBox USB Driver installed in your host? Make sure your host didn't silently reject non-MS drivers (Google for Driver Signature Enforcement).
  6. If on a Linux host, are you a member of the 'vboxusers' group? If not, add yourself with "sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <your_username>", then reboot.
  7. If on a Linux host, run "sudo update-usbids".
  8. Check out these Windows-specific ways to troubleshoot potential driver installation issues:
    1. USB not working
    2. SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host
    3. Remove Driver Filters to Resolve Device Manager Errors on Windows 7
  9. A very nice read: "USB in Windows - FAQ" from Microsoft's MSDN.
  10. Try your favorite search engine. It can work miracles most of the time.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.