Cannot Connect External Hard Drive to Virtual Machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Turon

Cannot Connect External Hard Drive to Virtual Machine

Post by Turon »

When I eject the drive out of mac os x so that it can be visible from the virtual machine and go to the usb controls and select my drive it is never able to connect and continuously shows me this error message...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot Connect External Hard Drive to Virtual Machine

Post by socratis »

Take a look at: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70014
I found it when searching for "VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS". Other results in your search might reveal more solutions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Turon

Post by Turon »

Thanks, um I've made a reply in the other topic, I don't know how to install the drivers...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's a "how to use Windows" question, not a VirtualBox one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Turon

Post by Turon »

I've got my Log file right here... what exactly does it do?
Attachments
Windows 7 Intel Experiment-2016-02-09-20-23-19.log.zip
(20.98 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@mpack Good call...

@Turon
You don't have the Extension Pack installed. It is required for USB 2 and higher. Download the matching version for your VirtualBox installation from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

General notes, in no particular order :
  • As mentioned, you need to install the extension pack if you want the guest to have USB2 or USB3. Bear in mind that Win7 will need third party Intel xHCI drivers before it can support USB3.
  • 688MB doesn't seem like enough for a Win7-64bit VM. I would increase this to 1536MB.
  • 33MB doesn't seem like enough graphics RAM for a 64bit Win7 VM. I'd increase this to 48MB.
  • 25GB doesn't seem like a lot of disk space either, but too late to do anything with that now, unless you want to start again from scratch.
  • Continuing the resources theme, it's a shame that you only assigned 1 core. With a 4-core host you could have afforded 2 for the VM.
  • Curious that you called the VM "Intel Experiment". It's hardly like you had any choice but to use Intel on a modern Apple PC.
  • "00:00:15.136147 OHCI#0: Lagging too far behind, not trying to catch up anymore. Expect glitches with USB devices". OHCI==USB1, so this should be fixed when you fix the extpack problem.
Turon

Post by Turon »

What are these "cores" you speak of? Excuse my apparent lack of knowledge for I'm no computer expert. I named it "Intel Experiment" because I have a windows laptop which is amd64.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Turon wrote:What are these "cores" you speak of?
CPUs for your Virtual Machine. Your host has 4 core CPUs, therefore mpack says that you can afford 2 for your guest.
Turon

Post by Turon »

I've been able to connect USB 2 devices thank's to the add-on. I downloaded those Intel drivers but when I run it, it says "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".
What are the minimum requirements?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You would have to ask Intel if you want a definitive answer on that. Mostly I imagine it means "don't install the 32bit drivers on a 64bit OS" (or vice versa), and "do have xHCI hardware present" (that would be virtual xHCI hardware in our case, meaning enable xHCI before trying to install the drivers).
Turon

Post by Turon »

I've got the log of the new virtual machine I set up with higher specs... It still says that my machine doesn't fit the minimum requirements I've been trying to install USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family
Attachments
VirtualWindows7-2016-02-10-22-26-24.log.zip
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Perhaps it's something to do with not having enabling xHCI in the VM settings yet.
Turon

Post by Turon »

How do I enable xHCI?