OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
SteveMacGeek

OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Post by SteveMacGeek »

Does the release of 6.1.0 RC 1 change the Guest additions situation for MacOS? The documentation explicitly says Catalina 10.15 Hosts are supported, but the docs are still vague about Mojave 10.14 guests, others than to say the VBoxGuestAdditions aren't supported for MacOS -- but that's not really true, right? Otherwise, why have the extension pack posted for MacOS:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... .0_RC1.iso

...and -- can I ask -- what are the differences between these two downloads:
  1. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack
  2. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working.

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the original "OSX GAs (VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg): what is working" thread. You're talking about the 6.1.0rc1 GAs, your questions do not belong in the "OSX Hosts" area anymore...
SteveMacGeek wrote:Does the release of 6.1.0 RC 1 change the Guest additions situation for MacOS?
No.
SteveMacGeek wrote:the docs are still vague about Mojave 10.14 guests
Only guests up to 10.13 are supported. 10.14/15 are not supported yet. I don't think that there's any vagueness in there. If there is, please post the appropriate section so that it can be addressed.
SteveMacGeek wrote:say the VBoxGuestAdditions aren't supported for MacOS
They need to add a chapter for OSX GAs. But I guess they're way too experimental and half-baked at this point to have their own chapter in the User Manual...
SteveMacGeek wrote:Otherwise, why have the extension pack posted for MacOS
Otherwise, why have the Guest Additions posted for Every Guest
There, I fixed it for you. ;)
You're pointing to the Guest Additions (GAs) ISO, not the Extension Pack. And there is a single GAs ISO, for every possible Guest that is supported by the GAs.
SteveMacGeek wrote:what are the differences between these two downloads
They're identical. One has simply the revision number on its filename.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveMacGeek

Post by SteveMacGeek »

@socratis -- you're a godsend -- thanks for everything you do to keep this forum organized as well as your expertise!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I take that as a compliment, right? :P

Thank you... :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.