r134346+VBoxSVGA, Unable to draw MSOffice applications

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
bmfesta2009

r134346+VBoxSVGA, Unable to draw MSOffice applications

Post by bmfesta2009 »

So this issue isn't explicitly new to VBox 6.1, nor Beta 2. But this is the first time that an Invalid Setting Detection warning appeared so I'm bringing it up again here specifically addressing this new requirement.

With Graphics Controller set to VBoxSVGA in a Windows 10 client with Office 365 installed locally as an application. The graphics controller is unable to render the Microsoft Office applications. I am attaching my logs and my configuration for review.

FYI, don't be worried about the name, it's just for labeling purposes with testing desktop configurations.
Attachments
Financial Desktop.zip
VBox Configuration
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Financial Desktop-2019-11-03-16-43-48.zip
Log of event.
(43.6 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: r134346+VBoxSVGA, Unable to draw MSOffice applications

Post by socratis »

bmfesta2009 wrote:So this issue isn't explicitly new to VBox 6.1, nor Beta 2
Then it doesn't belong to the "Beta" section, it should have been addressed to the "Windows Guests" section. There are actually several bug reports about this: There was no need to open a beta-specific thread, there's already a thread that you already took part in...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bmfesta2009

Post by bmfesta2009 »

The part that impacts the beta is the warning message. If there is still a known defect around a new feature it shouldn't warn you about the Graphics Controller. It even forced it over to VBoxSVGA on me and I had to find a work around to get it back to VBoxVGA.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bmfesta2009 wrote:The part that impacts the beta is the warning message
No, that's not only in the Beta, that's on 6.0.14 as well, the release.
bmfesta2009 wrote: If there is still a known defect around a new feature it shouldn't warn you about the Graphics Controller
The known defect is VBoxVGA+3D, that's why it's getting deprecated with 6.1. Mind you VBoxVGA without the 3D isn't going anywhere.
bmfesta2009 wrote: It even forced it over to VBoxSVGA on me
Forced? How? Please don't tell me that you mean when creating a new VM, because that's been there since 6.0.0 actually.
bmfesta2009 wrote:I had to find a work around to get it back to VBoxVGA
Workaround? As in changing the settings? VM Settings » Display » Screen » Graphics Controller? That's been there since 6.0.0 actually.

I don't see anything beta-specific about this thread, that's why I'm locking it. There is a thread that you've already participated in the normal forum sections (Are VboxSVGA and VMSVGA ready to replace VboxVGA?), please continue the discussion there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.