drag and drop harddisks between controllers works fine

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
stes

drag and drop harddisks between controllers works fine

Post by stes »

While reading what's new I noticed:
GUI: VM storage settings page was adjusted a bit in usability regard. User is now allowed to change controller bus type and can move attachments between the controllers by using drag and drop
First of all this made me experiment with 2 SATA controllers (which seems to work if I use chipset ICH9 (under System).

Host OS: Solaris 11.4
Guest OS : Solaris 11.4 - 2 SATA controllers attached to the guest

I can indeed drag and drop disks now between these virtual controllers and this seems to work.

Nice feature ...
stes

Re: drag and drop harddisks between controllers works fine

Post by stes »

What could also be useful is a checkbox "Enable Storage Controller" for controllers under "Storage" just like "Enable Network Adapter" under Network.

If you disable then one of the SAS or SATA controllers that would be sufficient instead of actually removing the controller from a mirror of disk (disks on 2 different controllers).

If I remove a controller (with its disk) in the guest operating system the mirror goes into degraded state (due to the disk and the controller having been removed from the OS) :

Code: Select all

NAME        STATE      READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       DEGRADED      0     0     0
          mirror-0  DEGRADED      0     0     0
            c1t0d0  ONLINE        0     0     0
            c2t0d0  REMOVED       0     0     0
Would be useful then to just be able to click "Enable storage controller" to re-enable the controller.