[WorksForMe] 6.0.13-133688-Win: Hardening error

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
zonender

[WorksForMe] 6.0.13-133688-Win: Hardening error

Post by zonender »

Thanks guys for maintaining an active forum.

Hello @socratis

I have Windows 10, I uninstalled the old virtualbox virsion and installed the test build: VirtualBox-6.0.13-133688-Win

Now none of my VM are running when I try to run any VM I get this error message: https://i.imgur.com/fQosOrg.png
and looking into the log: C:\Users\auser\VirtualBox VMs\msgvm\Logs\VBoxHardening.log (Attached) I see this error:
436c.1144: Error -101 in supR3HardenedWinReSpawn! (enmWhat=3)
436c.1144: NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034 STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 retries)

Driver is probably stuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query vboxdrv' to get more information about its state. Rebooting may actually help.
Restarting didn't help an neither did reinstalling as admin.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate you looking into this.

For now I will stick to VirtualBox 6.0.10

Regards
Asim
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(20.81 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Last edited by socratis on 8. Oct 2019, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 6.0.13-133688-Win: Hardening error

Post by socratis »

I honestly don't know why on earth you posted your message on the thread "Unable to compile guest additions in Centos 7 (1062 kernel) running on 6.0.12". Please don't do that, it makes my life difficult. See: Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose the title carefully.

Second, I do appreciate the shouting out, but in a new post I'd think you would want to address everyone, not just me... ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific advice for you regarding the hardening error, except to read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution. I would focus on repairing your system...

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zonender

Post by zonender »

Thank you all,

Notes, taken.

I forgot to mention that I originally had the same issue: "Unable to compile guest additions in Centos 7 (1062 kernel) running on 6.0.12", Which lead me to install 6.0.13 which got me to the hardening issue.

Will thoroughly work on: "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues"

Regards
zonender

Post by zonender »

Hi Guys,

I am completely out of ideas, I will just settle for 6.0.10 for now, 6.0.13 is just not working for me.

I followed the instruction here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=82106 to the very last letter, I completely uninstall Norton and disabled defender and all these are disabled on my windows 10:

Application Guard
Credential Guard
Device Guard
<any> * Guard
Containers
Core Isolation
Memory Integrity
Virtualization Based Security
Hyper-V
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform
Windows Sandbox
Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) (WSL1 does not enable Hyper-v)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Did you read this section on the test build download page where you got the 6.0.13 installation file?
Installing Windows test builds
The Windows test build packages are working precisely like a usual VirtualBox installer packages, with one difference: they will not work (the error message will point to unsigned drivers) if you install them on Windows 10 if your system has UEFI secure boot enabled. To make these test build work you need to disable UEFI secure boot in the system's UEFI config.
zonender

Post by zonender »

Thank you Martin, that was it, I just disabled Secure boot and I was able to install vb test build 6.0.13, then ran "sudo yum update" to update to centos 7 kernel 3.10.0-1062, finally I rebooted, installed guest additions, then one more reboot and it's all rainbows and unicorns now.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

zonender wrote:and it's all rainbows and unicorns now
Glad you read the installation details... ;)
Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.