VirtualBox ExtensionPack - Version 6.1.0_BETA1 r133315 (Qt5.6.3)

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
dkardell

VirtualBox ExtensionPack - Version 6.1.0_BETA1 r133315 (Qt5.6.3)

Post by dkardell »

I just downloaded the latest beta and when it tries to download the Viritualbox Extension Pack I get "The network operation failed with the following error: During network request: Url not found on server.

Thoughts?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox ExtensionPack - Version 6.1.0_BETA1 r133315 (Qt5.6.3)

Post by mpack »

What does "it tries to download" mean?

VirtualBox does not download the extension pack. You do that. I don't know where you're seeing that download link, because the one I see in the Downloads area is 6.1.0_BETA1/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.0_BETA1-133315.vbox-extpack.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox does not download the extension pack
Sometimes it tries, I've seen it happening. I have yet to identify the conditions, mostly because I download VirtualBox+ExtPack in one-go, and then I use my command-line tool to uninstall the previous one and install the new one, so it doesn't have a chance to tell my to download the ExtPack too often...
dkardell wrote:Thoughts?
Just as 'mpack' said, download it and install it manually. Since you're in the beta testing, I would download the latest 6.1.0b1, disguised as a "Development snapshot" from the Test builds area.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

dkardell wrote:when it tries to download the Viritualbox Extension Pack
mpack wrote:VirtualBox does not download the extension pack. You do that.
socratis wrote:Sometimes it tries, I've seen it happening. I have yet to identify the conditions,
I'll describe a typical workflow from my own experience that somehow matches all three statements: ;)

On a macOS 10.13.6 host, VirtualBox 5.2.x is installed. When the VirtualBox GUI app is being started, it checks for updates and finds VirtualBox 5.2.y (y > x). I manually download and install VirtualBox 5.2.y and start the VirtualBox GUI app. The GUI app prompts me that I have an old Extension Pack Version 5.2.x installed, and offers to download and install the Extension Pack 5.2.y, by clicking a few buttons. In consequence, while I have triggered the download, the VirtualBox GUI app has performed the download. :)

PS: I don't know, if VirtualBox 6 exhibits the same behavior.
dkardell

Post by dkardell »

Sorry all. so when I start VirtualBox it says "You are running a prerelease version of VirtualBox. This version is not suitable for production use." Clicking ok then bring up, "You are running an outdated Extension Pack, click to download" . Clicking download then comes up with the with the error: unable to get resource
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Confirmed. Known issue, talked it over with the developers over at IRC...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
akaempf

Post by akaempf »

I download the r133315 beta and extension pack and the VM's will not boot... Get the following error
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-100.

The device instance structure version has changed.

If you have upgraded VirtualBox recently, please make sure you have terminated all VMs and upgraded any extension packs. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_PDM_DEVINS_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I removed the previous version of VirtualBox... Any ideas...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

akaempf wrote:VERR_PDM_DEVINS_VERSION_MISMATCH
You are installing different versions of the main program and the Extension Pack. Make sure they do.

BTW 'akaempf', you should definitely read the thread: Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully. Your error message wasn't even close...
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

After lots of head scratching I've found the cause... a glitch in the release process of 6.1.0_BETA1 it seems. Don't know how, but a symlink in the download directory was lost (or never created), and that symlink is vital for the operation of the extpack download feature in the GUI.

This is fixed now, I've tested that the GUI can download the beta1 extpack without trouble.