Nested VT-x crash with KVM

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Technologov
Volunteer

Nested VT-x crash with KVM

Post by Technologov »

Level0 = Win 10, 64-bit, VBox 6.1.0-BETA1, Core i7 6600U
Level1 = Debian Linux 9, 64-bit + Linux-KVM. (Qemu/KVM is standard version from Debian 9)
Level2 = empty VM with Linux-KVM. Crash.
Attachments
KVM crash screenshot.
KVM crash screenshot.
Nested VT-x KVM.png (112.44 KiB) Viewed 18942 times
Debian 9 Workstation-2019-09-24-20-50-54.zip
Level0, Debian 9, vbox.log
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nested VT-x crash with KVM

Post by socratis »

Technologov,

There's no point in trying different exotic scenarios. Currently only VirtualBox (current) on VirtualBox (current) is supported AFAIK.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

>There's no point in trying different exotic scenarios. Currently only VirtualBox (current) on VirtualBox (current) is supported.

1. Running KVM in a Linux guest is not exotic at all. (just like running Hyper-V in a Windows guest is not exotic, and expected to work)
2. Where is it written that only this or that is supported ? Oracle claimed 'Nested VT-x is working and stable', not even experimental label. (reading chapter 14.1. Experimental Features)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

By exotic I mean your previous post as well:
VirtualBox 4.1.6 r74713 win.x86 (Nov  4 2011 13:40:24) release log
Technologov wrote:Where is it written that only this or that is supported ?
Rumors, from the horse's mouth...
Technologov wrote:Oracle claimed 'Nested VT-x is working and stable', not even experimental label
If anything, it's not stable and working. I've yet to see a working example. If you can point me to one, I'd appreciate it...

As I said, if you don't want to waste your time, stick with current VirtualBox on current VirtualBox... For the beginning at least.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

'VirtualBox 4.1.6' -- yes, may sound exotic, but I took it for few reasons:
1. it officially supports 32-bit and Windows XP hosts.
2. It is _very well_ tested by me on various Intel CPUs and OSes (guest and host), and found to be stable version. So I know what to expect and how it worked on real hardware almost a decade ago...
3. I have it in my personal offline repository :)