Make VirtualBox great, sorry fast to launch again

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Make VirtualBox great, sorry fast to launch again

Post by birdie »

I still refuse to upgrade to VirtualBox 6.x from VirtualBox 5.2.x because the latter is at the very least five times faster to launch than the new version. I'm talking about running the main VirtualBox application, not launching VMs. VB 5.2.x launches in less than a fraction of a second while version 6 takes up to three seconds.

I really hope VirtualBox developers will spend a little bit of their time finding the slow code path which renders the new release slow to launch. Probably it's the problem with Fedora Linux version 30 64bit which I'm using but I don't use Windows for running VMs, so I don't know whether the Windows release is free from this issue.

I'm rocking a very fast and modern system: Ryzen 3700X CPU, 32 gigs of DDR4 3600MHz RAM and an SSD disk (500MB/sec I/O).

Thank you for your attention.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Make VirtualBox great, sorry fast to launch again

Post by socratis »

birdie wrote:I still refuse to upgrade to VirtualBox 6.x
I'm assuming you're talking about the 6.1.0b1, otherwise your post in this neighborhood of the forums is moot...
birdie wrote:Probably it's the problem with Fedora Linux version 30 64bit which I'm using
I've been using various VirtualBox versions and switching back and forth more that once a day on an OSX 10.11.6, OSX 10.9.5, Win10-64, Win7-64, Mint19-64 hosts. I haven't seen any launch time differences between 5.2.x and 6.x.x, and more importantly I don't recall anything similar to your problem reported on the forums.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CaptainFlint
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Various Windows and Linux distros

Post by CaptainFlint »

I haven't seen any launch time differences between 5.2.x and 6.x.x, and more importantly I don't recall anything similar to your problem reported on the forums.
Not quite what birdie is talking about, but on one of the Russian forums at least two persons said, that they noticed 6.0.x being significantly slower with VM guests performance than 5.x. One even described the guest OS drawing being "like a slow RDP" (2D, 3D enabled, Additions installed).

When I myself installed 6.0.x I also thought that it was a bit sluggish, but I didn't do any comparisons or measurements. Besides, it's hard to compare the versions, being unable to have two versions installed side-by-side. In any case, I soon had to revert back to 5.2, because VBox 6.0.8 gave me a host BSOD caused by VBoxDDR0.r0… So, yeah, all in all 6.0 was not my most enjoyed experience either (not to mention the deterioration of UX, which I hope is improved in 6.1, like the changelog says). Maybe 6.1 will be a bit better.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CaptainFlint wrote:but on one of the Russian forums at least two persons said, that they noticed 6.0.x being significantly slower with VM guests performance than 5.x.
I believe that 'birdie' was talking about slowdowns while launching the VirtualBox Manager, not of any guest:
birdie wrote:I'm talking about running the main VirtualBox application, not launching VMs
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CaptainFlint
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Various Windows and Linux distros

Post by CaptainFlint »

socratis wrote:I believe that 'birdie' was talking about slowdowns while launching the VirtualBox Manager, not of any guest:
Yes, that's why I mentioned that it's not the same. But still it contributes to the general opinion of the VBox 6.x performance.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CaptainFlint wrote:to the general opinion of the VBox 6.x performance
Once again, if you're talking specifically about 6.1.0b1 compared to 6.0.12, then this is the place to talk about it. This is NOT the place to talk about 6.x in general, this is the "VirtualBox Beta / Release Candidate Feedback" area.

And neither of you have talked about 6.1.0b1 specifically AFAICS...
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

I could have filed a bug about this issue against VBox 6.0 but issues like this generally receive zero attention, so I tried my luck here knowing that VBox developers are more likely to see new threads in this subforum.

I'm sorry for the noise.