Guest Control File Manager unable to copy file

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
stes

Guest Control File Manager unable to copy file

Post by stes »

6.0.0 beta3 on Solaris 11.4

guest Solaris 11.4 with gnome3 (solaris-desktop installed) + vbox guest addtions

Going to Machine -> File Manager seems to work fine. After entering user credentials, the right hand "guest pane" shows the (ZFS) filesystem of the guest (also solaris 11.4) for browsing.

On the guest it seems required to run the VBoxService:
root@venus:~# ps -ef | grep VBox
    root   800     1   0 22:05:46 ?   0:00 /usr/bin/VBoxService
    stes  1598   800   0 22:16:58 ?   0:00 /opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/amd64/VBoxService guestsession --session-id=6 --session-proto=2 --user stes
    stes  1482     1   0 22:15:52 ?   0:00 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard
also on a minimal install (without GUI) it works as long as VBoxService runs (if that service does not run the File Manager complains that it cannot create a session)
root@pluto:~# ps -ef | grep VBox
    root   657     1   0 22:24:22 ?   0:00 /usr/bin/VBoxService
    stes   662   657   0 22:25:19 ?   0:00 /opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/amd64/VBoxService guestsession --session-id=1 --session-proto=2 --user stes
When clicking the "copy file" in the File Manager I can't paste the file into the desktop , also the File Manager seems to hang after the attempt to paste and I have to close VirtualBox. So browsing seems to work fine (also for the guest) but the copy file not.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Dec 2018, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
stes

Re: Guest Control File Manager unable to copy file

Post by stes »

When using the "arrow" buttons between the two panes (host and guest), it works. Using those arrow buttons I can copy the file from the guest to the host ...

The confusing thing was the "Copy file" button above the panes (to the right of "create new directory") when using that button I was not able to paste the file in a different application (the file browser of the OS). However using the arrow buttons inside the "Guest Control File Manager" panel itself, it works ...
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Re: Guest Control File Manager unable to copy file

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hi. The copy/cut and paste functionality is not fully implemented. It will be a way to copy/move files from a location to another within the guest. Hopefully we will solve the current problem soon. I am also aware of the hangs that happen time to time during guest sessions. Those will be hopefully resolved in the near future, too.