can't create symlink in shared folder

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
walkerxk
Primary OS: Debian Squeeze
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp

can't create symlink in shared folder

Post by walkerxk »

i can't create symlink in the shared folder, it said read only, but i can create a normal file. and i can see the symlink i create in the host.
guest.png
guest.png (38.26 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
my host is macos 10.13.6
my guest is Ubuntu Disco Dingo (development branch)
my virtualbox version is 6.0.0_BETA2
and i attached the VBox.log
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(28.26 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: can't create symlink in shared folder

Post by andyp73 »

In the chapter 4.3 of the VirtualBox 5.2.x documentation we see...
Starting with version 4.0, VirtualBox shared folders also support symbolic links (symlinks), under the following conditions:
  1. The host operating system must support symlinks (i.e. a Mac, Linux or Solaris host is required).
  2. Currently only Linux and Solaris Guest Additions support symlinks.
  3. For security reasons the guest OS is not allowed to create symlinks by default. If you trust the guest OS to not abuse the functionality, you can enable creation of symlinks for "sharename" with:
    VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/sharename 1
I would be surprised if that functionality had changed. Is this a guest that existed prior to installing the 6.0.0 beta versions? If so, had you run that command on your guest to allow it to create symlinks and had it worked previously?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
walkerxk
Primary OS: Debian Squeeze
Guest OSses: windows xp

Re: can't create symlink in shared folder

Post by walkerxk »

thanks it seems work, but perhaps need a reboot, i will verify that after i reboot.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Nov 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.