Windows 7 guest black screen after logging on

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
ThinkInk

Windows 7 guest black screen after logging on

Post by ThinkInk »

I'm using Virtualbox 6.0 Beta and after I rebooted my computer after installing the guest additions, I log on and the screen is black! The log on sound plays but I can't really do anything much. I can ctrl-alt-delete but opening task manager or cancelling doesn't help at all. How do I fix this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 guest black screen after logging on

Post by socratis »

Moving to the "Beta/Release Candidates" from the "Windows Guests" area.

Start in Safe Mode (F8 during Win startup). Re-install the GAs. Which mode did you choose for the 3D acceleration, XPDM or WDDM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

So the first thing I did was enable direct3d support and clicked no to install the advanced direct3d drivers rather than the basic ones. How do you choose the mode?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's exactly how you choose XPDM (older) vs. WDDM (newer) model. It shouldn't make a difference, I've installed both of them at times, no problems. I've actually filed an enhancement ticket on this (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17466) to make it clearer that "No"==WDDM and "Yes"==Direct3D (aka XPDM).

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

Here's the log.
Attachments
Windows 7-2018-11-04-14-01-12.7z
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

anyone there?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:59.904810 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
        rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
        \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0,
        missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
00:00:59.905939 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll:
        rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
00:01:00.549866 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll:
        rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvd3dumx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
You have a hardening error, nothing to do with the Beta. Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.

I'd start by updating/reinstalling/downgrading my Nvidia drivers. From the official site.
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

can you disable hardening? If so, how?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No. That would defeat the whole purpose. You need to fix what's broken, not break more things... ;)
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

upon looking into device manager it says I have the best drivers installed for the Nvidia driver.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And upon looking at them with Microsoft's sign tool, you'll see that they have a problem. Look, there's only one solution; find signed drivers. Doesn't necessarily have to be the latest:
socratis wrote:I'd start by updating/reinstalling/downgrading my Nvidia drivers. From the official site.
And please read the Hardening FAQ to understand that it's not the age that's a problem. Your host may be the problem...
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

I was talking about my host. I can't access the guest because of the problem. As for my display driver, It's signed. I have Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. Is that a problem? Because I think it's quite old.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I was talking about your host as well, no misunderstanding there. But, I honestly don't like repeating information that's already there:
socratis wrote:Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
ThinkInk

Post by ThinkInk »

I'm not really sure how to solve this. On my log I keep getting Error (rc=0). Hope that helps.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Post a new VBox.log and a new VBoxHardening.log then. ZIPPED.