Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
mhanor
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: various

managing snapshots in VirtualBox Manager v6.0 Beta1

Post by mhanor »

Hi! Am I blind or is the snapshot managing GUI gone?

10 seconds later: found it! This new GUI is awkward.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: managing snapshots in VirtualBox Manager v6.0 Beta1

Post by socratis »

mhanor wrote:This new GUI is awkward.
I'd go for... different! I still find my mouse going to the top-left side when I want to start a VM ;)

But you got to also think of the trends these days; touch-based devices!
(yes, I hate them too, generally speaking)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote: But you got to also think of the trends these days; touch-based devices!
I'm not convinced that I do have to think of the trends! I'm not a lemming, I don't have to follow others off the cliff! Besides which, who seriously uses Windows, Linux, OS X with a touch based interface?

I have not had time to try the beta yet. I really hope VirtualBox isn't about to pull a "Windows 8".
mhanor
Volunteer
Guest OSses: various

Post by mhanor »

Removing the Snapshots entry from the main menu, unless we click the pseudo-button and select Snapshots, it doesn't seem useful. Snapshots are really important when dealing with VMs, why should it hide like that?
With the Network menu entry it's the same, you have to click Tools, above the VM list. The main menu isn't cluttered. It has a lot of space left. You can also leave Logs there. The button, that wasn't obvious for me as a button, looks like something forced into the GUI.
ender1

Post by ender1 »

I agree - the new menu for Details/Snapshots/Logs is annoying, the old tab-like interface was much better.

In addition, it has a problem: it extends below the bottom edge of the screen, making it impossible to click the Snapshots and Logs options if the VM is listed low enough on the screen.