3 Mouse clicks to open folder

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Simple07

3 Mouse clicks to open folder

Post by Simple07 »

Performed a fresh installation of Windows 10 on VirtualBox-5.2.0_RC1-118335-Win with Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.0_RC1-118335 installed. I Noticed that 3 mouse clicks are needed to open a folder not 2 !!, or point at the folder and hit enter.

After installing VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.0-118335, double clicks open folders, as usual.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3 Mouse clicks to open folder

Post by socratis »

Are you sure that the first click is not the one that get the focus to the VM? I cannot replicate the behavior on a 10.11.6 OSX host, or on a WIn10-1607 (64-bit) host. The guest is a WIn10-1607 (64-bit) in both cases.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Yes I am sure, the issue reported was noticed on Windows 10 RS3 16299.15 x86 (Due for GA release on Tuesday 17/10/17), which was updated to 16299.19 last night.

I have just uninstalled the VBoxGuestAdditions and tried again, 3 mouse clicks on "My PC" are needed to open the File Explorer and 3 clicks are needed to start a program. I can confirm this behavior on Windows 10 RS3 16299.19, both x86 and x64. But after reinstalling VBoxGuestAdditions, only 2 clicks are needed to open the File Explorer or start a program.

P.S. I also uninstalled the VBoxGuestAdditions from an existing Windows 7 x64 SP1 VM, and it also needs 3 clicks to open the File Explorer and 3 clicks to start a program, but only 2 clicks if the VBoxGuestAdditions are installed !!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, with no GAs installed you need 3 clicks and with GAs installed you need 2? Is that what you're telling me? If that's the case then I suspect it is my first hunch, the first click is to get the focus to the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

After some more testing, I found that it will actually open the File Explorer or start a program with 3 touch-pad clicks or 2 slow ones with VBoxGuestAdditions uninstalled. But with VBoxGuestAdditions installed, it will perform the tasks with 2 clicks at very fast, fast or slower speeds.

Could the VM without VBoxGuestAdditions be ignoring the middle click when fast clicking?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Simple07 wrote:with 3 touch-pad clicks or 2 slow ones with VBoxGuestAdditions uninstalled
Can you try with a mouse? You should have mentioned that you're using a trackpad, I would have directed you to ticket #14632: Double click not working with precision touchpad.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Thanks socratis,

The USB tailed (wired) mouse works well, with and without the VBoxGuestAdditions.

I have experienced the problem with 5.1.24 and below, pointed in your post. But that was happening with VBoxGuestAdditions as well.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So that means that it's in a better shape now, right? I mean if you install the Guest Additions you have no problem. Is that correct?

PS. Are you the same user "Simple" from the bugtracker's ticket #14632, comment 89?
Just upgraded to "VirtualBox-5.1.25-117130-Win.exe" + "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.25-117130.vbox-extpack", and seems that the Mouse/Touch-Pad issue has been sorted.
In fact it is now more responsive than a number of earlier releases.
Well done to the developers.
BTW, the ExtPack and the trackpad have zero connections.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Yes, that was me in post 89. The reference to the Extension_Pack was to give as much info of what was changed as possible.

My computer has an HID, and as I reported in the first post of this thread, the TouchPad works fine after installing VBoxGuestAdditions. My real issue is with sound quality and lag to the stroboscopic video, and I reported this thinking it may be somehow related.