[SOLVED] 'shared clipboard' & 'Drag and Drop' Both not working

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Master-o'-none

[SOLVED] 'shared clipboard' & 'Drag and Drop' Both not working

Post by Master-o'-none »

Hi every1 --

I have installed the latest beta VirtualBox 5.2.0_RC1 on a linux Debian host -- I have 2 VM guests - a Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB and a 2nd linux debian sid --

My issue is even though Shared Folders are working fine, but 'shared clipboard' & 'Drag and Drop' Both set to 'Bidirectional' -- are not working in any of the guest OS's --

I have installed both the "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.0_RC1-118201.vbox-extpack" in the VBox as well as the "VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.0_RC1.iso" inside the guest--

Even on a Windows 10 Host with stable VBox 5,1 and various guest OS's, I have been unable to get the 'shared clipboard' & 'Drag and Drop' working -- not even once--
Neither copy/paste nor Drag-Drop have worked for me!!

I should point out that my PC is a rather old machine with an intel G31 chipset/Core2Duo E6300 CPU/4GB DDR2 RAM -- if this is connected in any way --

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard--

PS-- I'm loving the The latest BETA 5.2.0_RC1, a much faster Win 10 Bootup time and more responsive feel as compared to the stable version
Last edited by Master-o'-none on 12. Oct 2017, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 'shared clipboard' & 'Drag and Drop' Both not working

Post by socratis »

A couple of notes:
  1. You do not have to install the Guest Additions (GAs) from the ISO, they come bundled with your VirtualBox installation, just go to the menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image...
  2. You can only copy/paste simple text, like from a text editor, that's it.
I tried with my Win7 and Win10 guests and both the shared clipboard and drag & drop work just fine.

Pick a VM:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Master-o'-none

Post by Master-o'-none »

Dear Socrates, Thx so much for the prompt respnse -- Even txt cpy/paste is not working for me--

Pls find the log zipped as per ur instruction -- Thx again!!l
vbox.log.zip
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Master-o'-none
I believe the instructions were pretty clear. Please read them again, I'll simply highlight the part that you missed.
socratis wrote:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
You started from a saved state. I do *not* want you to resume from a saved state. I want you to start the process of collecting the log while the VM is completely shut down.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.503277 File system of '/root/VirtualBox VMs/win10-ik2/Snapshots' (snapshots) is btrfs
That's a really, really bad idea running things as root.
00:00:02.506490 File system of '/media/ik/210CE1C1607A115D/Linux Downloads/Packages/Virtualbox/
                VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.0_RC1.iso' (DVD) is fuse
You don't need to download the Guest Additions (GAs) CD separately, it comes bundled with your VirtualBox installation. The only thing you do if you want to install the GAs is to go to the menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... and you're done.
00:00:02.670279 [/Devices/hpet/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.670282   ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Why do you have the ICH9 chip selected? If you hover over that drop-down menu, the tooltip reads:
Note that the ICH9 chipset emulation is experimental and not recommended except for guest systems (such as Mac OS X) which require it.
00:00:02.669766 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:03.232079 CPUM: Logical host processors: 2 present, 2 max, 2 online, online mask: 0000000000000003
00:00:03.232132 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources. Drop down the guest vCPUs to 1.
Master-o'-none

Post by Master-o'-none »

Dear Socratis--

Thanks for the detailed feedback--

I tried using the PIIX3 instead of the ICH9 chipset but I noticed a great reduction in responsiveness-- As if I had suddenly downgraded to a Pentium-I system-- Anyways Please consider this thread [Solved] as I'm perfectloy fine withlout clipboard--

Thanks again--