accessibility of qt gui not very accessible with orca

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
majid

accessibility of qt gui not very accessible with orca

Post by majid »

hi there,
running on arch linux using virtualbox beta
I use orca screen reader to navigate around my machine, when navigateing up and down menues in this beta of vb, items are not spoken
stepps to reproduce:
1. launch orca
in virtualbox use your up and down arrow keys to go thrue the menues
file, machine, help menues are reported fine it is when you get in to the preferances menu that not much is spoken
items such as general, imputt and update not spoken unless I tab around.
the vm list is also not spoken.

what should be expected, names of the menu items such as the names of the vms should be reported instead nuthing is reported.
in the non beta version of virtualbox, names of the vms were not spoken how ever all of the other menu items were spoken.
if you need more info please do ask,
it is my first report.
sorry for any spelling errors!
Dsen
Oracle Corporation

Re: accessibility of qt gui not very accessible with orca

Post by Dsen »

Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in VirtualBox accessibility support functionality!

We plan to make the VirtualBox GUI fully accessible with the next major release -- not yet with 5.2. There will be step-by-step improvements during subsequent 5.2.x maintenance releases, also integrating basic accessibility support.

During the 5.2 development cycle the accessibility was heavily reworked, many code was written from scratch. But the code is still under development and was tested mostly with macOS and partly with Windows hosts, not on Linux. There will be a separate thread dedicated to work on accessibility support (for all platforms) within the nearest major release and subsequent maintenance releases.

The corresponding documentation will be prepared, which will include the overall description of how that all should work within our GUI. There will also be testcases which should cover the basic accessibility layer, and users interested in the further evolution of this functionality will be welcome to assist us by providing feedback to drive the further development. We will keep you up-to-date.
majid

Re: accessibility of qt gui not very accessible with orca

Post by majid »

hi there,
i'll be looking forward to the progress made in this area,
I will be sure to test and report back.
thanks,
Majid Hussain