With Extensions Loaded Guest Screen Stays at 1024x768

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
fuzzy601

With Extensions Loaded Guest Screen Stays at 1024x768

Post by fuzzy601 »

With the Beta extensions loaded the guest resolution sets to 1024x768 and stays there. When I enlarge the window it stays at 1024x768. I tried setting it off menu, no luck. This was on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Been able to rescale worked reliably until 5.1.26, when it broke there too. I tried dropping back several releases, it stayed broken. This is running on a MacBook Pro Late 2011, with external 24inch LCD display.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: With Extensions Loaded Guest Screen Stays at 1024x768

Post by socratis »

fuzzy601 wrote:With the Beta extensions loaded the guest resolution sets to 1024x768 and stays there.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Beta extensions". You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Plus, you never told us your guest, you didn't provide a compressed VBox.log.zip for the VM in question, nothing. Read the description again, and if you can figure out what the problem is, please enlighten me...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fuzzy601

Post by fuzzy601 »

Sorry for missing details. The guest was Windows Server 2012R2. The Extension pack is installed on the host corresponding to the Beta release. The Guest additions are installed in the VM, corresponding to the Beta release.

Prior to the Beta and 5.1.26 I would startup the VM, I'd login then enlarge the Window to something bigger than 1024x768, the VM window would resize accordingly. Normally it would start at the size I'd left it at. After both 5.1.26 and the Beta it would not go to the larger screen size. This breakage was consistent on this Windows Server VM but also saw it on a Windows-10 VM and Windows Server 2016 on 5.1.26 on macOS host.

On a Windows-7 box I updated to 5.1.26 and built a Windows Server 2012R2, loaded Extension pack on the host and Guest Additions on the VM and VM window resize works as expected.

Thanks
Attachments
Windows Server 2012R2 (Test)-2017-08-04-12-11-28.log.zip
VM Log
(27.86 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
bqbauer

Post by bqbauer »

fuzzy601 wrote:... also saw it on a Windows-10 VM and Windows Server 2016 on 5.1.26 on macOS host.
I have a Windows 10 guest on my Solaris 11.3 host, and it resizes correctly with all the beta bits as you describe (VB beta1, beta1 extensions, and beta1 guest additions installed). I know it doesn't help much, but it may have some value to the VB developers that not everyone has the same problem with that guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fuzzy601 wrote:After both 5.1.26 and the Beta it would not go to the larger screen size.
• It wouldn't return to the previous size? What size would it return to?
• What's the value of VirtualBox preferences » Display » Maximum Guest Screen Size ?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fuzzy601

Post by fuzzy601 »

The VM window stayed at 1024x768, regardless of how I sized the VBox window. The Prefrences->Display->Maximum Guest Screen Size was set to Automatic, with dimensions set to 640x480.

That got me to wonder and try Hint, which didn't help. I then tried None. With that I could start the various VMs and I could resize the VBox window and the VM window would grow to that size like always. I then tried returning Preferences->Display->Maximum Guest Screen Size back to Automatic. It worked for the Windows VMs. Other Linux VMs I had like CentOS 7.3, Ubuntu 16.04.02 and Debian 9.1 VMs the VM window wouldn't resize correctly until I set Maximum Guest Screen Size to None, started the VM, it then worked. shut the VM down, then change it back to Automatic.

Sounds like something in the VM files got messed up and cycling through that with Preferences seemed to fix it.

Thanks socratis