Linux Host / Nvidia (CR_RENDER_FORCE_PRESENT_MAIN_THREAD)

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Linux Host / Nvidia (CR_RENDER_FORCE_PRESENT_MAIN_THREAD)

Post by stefan.becker »

Please fix this Bug:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13653

Its really old and annoying. VBOX is not usable on Linux Hosts with 64 Bit/Nvidia for Windows Guests with 3D.

With this Beta2 there is no solution.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: Linux Host / Nvidia

Post by Technologov »

Yes, Technologov wrote a patch for this bug, spending several days, but unfortunately rejected by VirtualBox developers.

To limit potential regressions, I suggest to limit my patch to X11 hosts only (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris - AFAIK NVIDIA driver is almost the same for those 3 platforms).
I tested my patch only on Linux host, but with Intel, AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

No regressions found for Intel +AMD GPUs. Fixed the problem with NVIDIA GPUs.

Worst case scenario my patch will revert graphics code to 4.3.14 level, and will not affect Windows and Mac OS X users.
Last edited by Technologov on 7. Jun 2016, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Lookting through the ticket I don't see the patch as already rejected, but the problem "is still under investigation" because the patch could break something for a paying customer.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

And that since 1,5 Year.

A whole Platform as Host is unusable.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I know you will not like this answer, but the reason no one is doing anything about this is not to be annoying, but simply a combination of lack of developer time and lots of other issues to work on (and there are not less of them after 1.5 years). We are not seeing massive complaints about this issue, which suggests that either our users are very patient or it does not affect all that many - probably the second, since it seems to be rather annoying for those who do have it. It might be interesting to investigate more precisely which users are affected by this. There are also plenty of people in the wild capable of writing 3D code. If it is annoying enough to ask us to fix it but not enough for you to look for other people who might be able to this of course also says something. (Yes, I know you can switch to another product if you want to and that might be easier than finding someone interested in fixing this. In the end that is for you to weigh up.) Generally, any investigations you can do to help us understand the issue better (looking at anything in the 3D code is a massive time investment for us too) improves the chances of a fix, though it is never something we can promise.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

He,

why not using Technologov's Workaround in the meantime as suggested (only compiled on Linux/BSD 64 Bit).

So no Windows User or Mac User has new Problems, but for *Nix-Users its all OK. Old Standard, but working. Better as new features not working.

I have more Machines with Intel&AMD CPUs, Radeon&Nvidia. So i'm able to check this.

I think now is a good point. You are in beta phase, if there a problems with the fix, then you can remove it before new version is final.

So come on, lets try it.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

As already mentioned, this issue does not seem to affect many people, the workaround is likely (I haven't looked into this in detail, but I also have enough other things to do currently) to adversely affect at least one paying customer, and no one seems interested in investigating this properly.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I already suggested that investigation could start with finding out more precisely who is affected. I also note that at least one person seems to be affected both with and without the workaround.
Zrax0111

Post by Zrax0111 »

I think many of those who are affected (myself included) have just lived with leaving 3D acceleration off on our Linux/nVidia hosts... So there may be more affected than those who are vocal about it.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I can't understand your approach.

Old features working are better then newer not working.

And you said it yourself: At the moment there is no time. No problem.

Investigate if you have time. And then i like to help you with logfiles or checking test versions or what else you need.

So i thin at them moment the best way is to use Technologovs Patch and and if there is time, a test version with the new feature.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

See my comment 25 in the above ticket. This problem is definitely on our radar but just disabling CR_RENDER_FORCE_PRESENT_MAIN_THREAD is not a solution because this define was introduced to fix other bugs. I understand it's annoying and it's an old issue but I can only repeat that we have much more problems open that we can resolve with our available resources.