USB Filters not working, "no devices available"

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
eltoddo

USB Filters not working, "no devices available"

Post by eltoddo »

Forgive me if I missed a relevant discussion where this was addressed. I tried to find others with the problem but I wasn't able to dig up anything via google search or forum search that moved me any closer to a solution than where I started and all attempts to troubleshoot have led to dead-ends.

Let's get the basics out of the way...
I'm using the latest test build:
Windows 5.0.1 revision 101939
ExtPack 5.0.1 revision 101934

Host Machine:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
HP Envy dv6t-7300 laptop
Intel Core i7 3740QM CPU @ 2.7 GHz
8 GB RAM installed

Guest VM:
Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop 64-bit
Allocated 2048 MB RAM
2 CPUs
16MB Video Memory
45 GB vdi dynamic hard drive image
All other VM settings are default
VM has a fresh install of Ubuntu desktop with the test build's VBoxGuestAdditions properly installed (as other guest additions features work fine).

I'm attaching copies of the VBox.Log and VBoxStartup.log files (zipped).

The problem: Quite simply, none of my VMs can have a USB device connected to them. "Enable USB Controller" is checked, the controller type doesn't affect the problem. When I click to add a new USB Device Filter from a plugged in device, I see a greyed out "<no devices available>" message, when it should show the card reader and a USB mouse dongle, at least. I tried adding a manual filter for the specific VID and PID of the device, a USB card reader, that I'm trying to attach, but the Ubuntu desktop VM doesn't react when I plug/unplug the device from my physical machine with the filter in place, as determined with dmesg and lsusb from the guest's terminal command line. The VM specified above is the one I need it to work in, but I'm having this problem with 11 other VMs that are a mixture of Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Desktop/Server guest VMs I have set up.

I've tried numerous reboots of my host PC; full reboots using the windows shutdown command, not the half-hibernate reboots Windows tries through conventional means. I've tried removing and reinstalling the extension pack, and although those operations complete without errors, the problem persists. I've tried starting VBox with and without admin rights with no success either way. In researching the problem I found some people having issues with USB 3.0 ports, so I tried all 4 of my ports, 3 of which are USB 3.0 and the 4th is USB 2.0, no luck with any device plugged into any port. I'm stuck with "no available devices" with all attempts to troubleshoot the problem.

Here's a bit of additional info I got after seeing other users with similar issues being asked for it:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe -v
5.0.1r101939

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list extpacks
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0:   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version:      5.0.1
Revision:     101934
Edition:
Description:  USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption.
VRDE Module:  VBoxVRDP
Usable:       true
Why unusable:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list usbhost
Host USB Devices:

<none>

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>
I wouldn't even be using the test build if I hadn't had an unresolvable error after installing the latest stable release this morning which prevented the guest additions from installing correctly. For the curious, or anyone wondering if that was related, I couldn't install the 5.0.0-101573 extension pack because every time I tried I'd get a "failed to load module" error on VBoxPuelMain.DLL VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND, GetLastError=127. All attempts to resolve it also failed so I tried the test build.

It's worth mentioning that this is the first time I've tried attaching a USB device to a VBox VM in years. So this could be specific to my machine and my windows host. I needed to set up a dev environment today that required it access a USB card reader and here I am... 12 hours later.

I've kinda run out of things to try... I'm hoping the problem I'm having is something simple I'm missing, but going through the logs myself, it doesn't appear there are any errors that would even lead to a place to look closer. I feel like I've either uncovered a legit bug or I'm missing something. I'll let the pros have a look and comment at this point.

Feel free to ask me to dig up any more info that may help. I'm a developer with years of software and hardware troubleshooting experience. I'm also open to a phone call and/or join.me session if necessary.
Attachments
VBox and VBoxStartup Logs.zip
(44.95 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
eltoddo

Re: USB Filters not working, "no devices available"

Post by eltoddo »

Just posting a quick follow-up in case anyone is following along...

I didn't solve the problem, but I've worked around it by going back to VBox version 4.3.30 r101610 with matching extension pack. On this version I didn't have too much trouble getting the USB card reader connected to the VM.

When I get a chance, I'll re-install the latest test release of VBox and see if anything got cleared up by using the older version.