osx 10.10.4 vm on wifi

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
benbb

osx 10.10.4 vm on wifi

Post by benbb »

Hi

I've been using VirtualBox successfully on OSX for a number of years. I'm currently on 5.0.0 RC2 (had to roll back from RC3 due to headless issues discussed elsewhere).

I've just uncovered the following - I think it's more an OSX issue than VB, but here goes.

Subsequent to update to 10.10.4, I noticed my win 7 vm was not getting an IPv4 address (DHCPv6 completes ok) when the vm is bridged to wireless - but NOT when bridged to ethernet. I tried firewall enable/ disable, but no result.

Packet capturing on the server reveals the my DHCP does send an offer - but the offer doesn't show up when capturing on the en0 (wifi interface).

But the macbook DOES get an address - I'm guessing because it's got the Bootp unicast flag set and thus the offer is unicast - whereas windows asks for a broadcast offer.

This suggests to me that Apple have made the wireless driver drop IP broadcasts. Can anyone think of a work around?

Thanks in advance,
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: osx 10.10.4 vm on wifi

Post by mpack »

Please do not report problems with beta versions of VirtualBox outside of the beta forum.

Moving this topic to the beta forum.
benbb

Post by benbb »

My apologies for mis-posting - and for re-posting - I thought it was going to simply get deleted.

Update - I've tried on RC3 10470 - same result - can't do DHCPv4 across a bridged interface.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I deleted your re-post.
benbb

Post by benbb »

Very confused now - problem has disappeared!

Two things have changed:

1) I'm in someone else's house and therefore talking to another DHCP server (vanilla dsl home router)
2)(just a bit more tenuous) - I ran a disk/ permisssions repair and got slew of corrections.

At any rate, until I get home and try again with my ISC DHCP server next week I have no way of reproducing the issue.

But I think it's almost certainly not a VB issue we're looking at ( guessing you may have reached this conclusion already :-))

Thanks for a great product.
benbb

Post by benbb »

I've finally figured this issue out and it's not the OSX host system and it's definitely not VB!

It's the embedded AP in my Cisco 887 router and I found the solution here:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discuss ... omous-mode

Simply go into the AP's cli, get into config:

int bvi 1
ip helper-address x.x.x.x (address of your DHCP server)

Anyone who knows the significance of these commands will protest that these should only be required if the AP is routing, not switching. I know it's counter-intuitive but I have demonstrated it works.

Hope someone finds this useful.
B