[regression] screen goes black on Win7 guest logout

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
BasMevissen

[regression] screen goes black on Win7 guest logout

Post by BasMevissen »

Hi,

Since the VB 5 betas, I experience that my guests screen sometimes goes black when I logout from Windows and sometimes when the screen saver comes in or when resuming a saved state. The VM will then no longer react on any command. Even ACPI shutdown doesn't work. I never saw this with 4.3.* on the same image. I suspect this bug to be introduced in beta 3, but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I cannot 100% reproduce the issue.

Machine: Dell Precision M4800 (NVIDIA graphics, QHD display)
Host: Linux; Fedora 21 64-bit with NVIDIA binary driver (346.72)
Guest: Windows 7 with non-WDDM driver from matching guest additions installed.

I tested with another Windows 7 install with WDDM driver installed. It seems to be fine on BETA4 (the only one I tested).

Any clues?

Cheers,

Bas.
BasMevissen

Re: [regression] screen goes black on Win7 guest logout

Post by BasMevissen »

This issue seems to be gone now on RC1. However, I disabled screen blanking (DPMS?). It seems related. Given my other post about display issues, I think the standard Win7 guest display driver is prime suspect. Unfortunately, the WDDM driver is not usable.
I tried reinstalling it in safe mode after some normal upgrades. Maybe that makes a difference. Will see.
BasMevissen

Post by BasMevissen »

Well, I just trapped another occasion on this guest where I got a black screen at logout. Guest appears to be completely dead. Only option is to power off. ACPI power down did nothing.

I noticed the same error I see when a restore fails (see my posting at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68411)

HGSMI[VBVA]: host heap allocation failed 25 bytes

This was the last log after I logged out, around 38 seconds after a successful restore from a saved session (to the same display).

Please find the complete log attached.
Attachments
VBox-work-logout-failed-session.log.gz
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
BasMevissen

Post by BasMevissen »

This issue is fully resolved with recent versions of vb. Probably already since the first release of vb 5.