Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Windows 10 (build 10061)

Post by loukingjr »

Updated my Windows 10 guest and it went well.* Nothing really new except I had to reinstall the GAs to get shared folders to work.again. OSX 10.10.4

*well if you consider taking 2-3 hrs to download the update and install on a 75Mbps connection. :mrgreen:
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Zrax0111

Re: Windows 10 (build 10061)

Post by Zrax0111 »

loukingjr wrote:*well if you consider taking 2-3 hrs to download the update and install on a 75Mbps connection. :mrgreen:
I'm noticing this as well (Win8.1 host)... Based on the guest's task manager and the VBox device icons, it appears to be disk I/O performance, not network, that's causing it to update so slowly. But I also haven't tried it on real hardware to compare...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I don't think it's disk I/O performance. I think it's just Microsoft's servers. Windows users have been complaining about update speeds for years. Plus everything else is magnitudes faster.
Zrax0111

Post by Zrax0111 »

Some of it may indeed be network, and I don't disagree that Microsoft's update servers are notoriously slow... However, I also watched my disk activity in the Task Manager basically flatline 100% during the majority of the pre-reboot/post-download install process ;)... But like I say, I haven't compared it to a real machine, so it's entirely possible it does that all the time, and that the latest Windows 10 update is just plain slow for everyone, virtual or otherwise.

EDIT: I guess that point isn't very interesting, since it would be natural for it to be writing lots of data right after it downloaded it. I'd still be (slightly) interested to hear how fast an update is on real hardware or on older VBox versions though.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

loukingjr: What is your question ?

Windows 10 is untested, and unreleased so things can change and break between build versions.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I don't have a question Alex.