[Solved] Beta Crashing (AMD) Linux Host Desktop

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
stefan.becker
Volunteer

[Solved] Beta Crashing (AMD) Linux Host Desktop

Post by stefan.becker »

Starting a guest crashes HOSTs GUI or some programs like Firefox.

For example this is a Log from Win81 / 32 Guest.

Host:
- AMD10 Processor
- 8 GB RAM
- using GPU from AMD A10 with AMD Readeon Driver
- Linux 13.2 / 64 Bit

Its not for all guests! Win 7 guests seems to work.

Edit: Solved with Beta 2. No more crashes!
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by stefan.becker on 18. Apr 2015, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: Beta Crashing Linux Host Desktop

Post by stefan.becker »

A few more guests checked. Its for others from XP to 7 the same, but not so often.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I have yet to have any guest crash the host on either a Linux Mint 17.1 or Ubuntu 14.10 host. Perhaps its an AMD CPU or GPU issue or an OpenSUSE problem.

I have Intel CPUs and GPUs.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Don't really understand what you mean. Do you have the same problem or no problem? If no, your post does not help anything.

@Developers: Is there something i can check for you like starting in a debug mode or something else?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I didn't mean to be confusing. I was suggesting there may be a conflict with VB 5.0 b1 and AMD devices because I have had no crashes with Intel Devices. So however non-helpful you think my post was, it may be something to look at.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

loukingjr wrote:I didn't mean to be confusing. I was suggesting there may be a conflict with VB 5.0 b1 and AMD devices because I have had no crashes with Intel Devices. So however non-helpful you think my post was, it may be something to look at.
I have the same problem here.
Host has AMD CPU too and ATI graphics running Fedora 21
Guests tried: W7 and eCS

Host GUI (KDE) crashes - and some apps too .
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

loukingjr: your post was non-helpful, so please avoid posting unrelated stuff.

Virtualizers, unlike normal applications are very dependent on specific CPU (and GPU !) model. So having it working on Intel has no effect on AMD. In fact they use totally different virtualization technology: Intel VT-x (VMX) vs AMD-V (SVM).

CPU model is only relevant if hardware virtualization is enabled, which it is by default.
GPU model (and driver) is only relevant if hardware 3D acceleration is enabled; else it has no effect. Disabled by default.

Besides different Intel CPUs have different versions of VMX technology, so results can differ. Starting from ancient Core 1 Duo and Pentium D until new 4th gen Core i7 Haswell. AMD-V also have versions.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Technologov wrote:loukingjr: your post was non-helpful, so please avoid posting unrelated stuff.

Virtualizers, unlike normal applications are very dependent on specific CPU (and GPU !) model. So having it working on Intel has no effect on AMD. In fact they use totally different virtualization technology: Intel VT-x (VMX) vs AMD-V (SVM).

CPU model is only relevant if hardware virtualization is enabled, which it is by default.
GPU model (and driver) is only relevant if hardware 3D acceleration is enabled; else it has no effect. Disabled by default.
Thank you for clarifying that the fact that VB 5.0 Beta 1 runs without crashing on Intel CPUs but crashes on AMD CPUs is of no interest.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

It could be helpful, only if your Intel host was running exactly the same host OS with exactly the same guest OS.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You should let the developers know that the next time users report a problem running various guests with various versions of OSX on Broadwell CPUs on various Macs so they know not to bother releasing a test build to fix it. But don't worry, before I post anything else I will be sure to clear it through you first.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Last time I looked this was an open to the public forum and not one controlled by a single person who dictated what could/should be included. Normal users that do not understand actual coding can only post their observations and deductions from what they perceive to be happening. Now if this was a developer only forum I could understand your issue Alex but come on, do you really need to be so abrasive?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Thank you Perry. :)
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Technologov wrote:loukingjr: your post was non-helpful, so please avoid posting unrelated stuff.

Besides different Intel CPUs have different versions of VMX technology, so results can differ. Starting from ancient Core 1 Duo and Pentium D until new 4th gen Core i7 Haswell. AMD-V also have versions.
First of all loukingjrs post was not useless but very welcome. If he has an Intel CPU and does not observe any of the problems Stefan did this is indeed a valuable information, in particular as we don't get that many positive feeback from users saying "Hey, Beta 5 works very well for me on this processor".

Second, it is true that hardware virtualization is enabled by default but that doesn't mean it's enabled for everybody. Over the years I've seen many reports from users having hardware virtualization disabled for various reasons. It's clear from Stefans VBox.log file that hardware virtualization is enabled for him.

The fact that the VM process and other processes on the host crash (not the host itself, correct?) indicates that there might be some problem with the FPU handling. FPU handling indeed is different between AMD and Intel and the code in the 5.0 Beta is different from the code in 4.3.x. Seeing the same problem from Yoda on AMD it seems that this could be indeed a problem specific to the AMD code.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Thank you as well Frank. I just wanted someone to know I wasn't having the same issue and looking at stefan's log I noticed he was using AMD and might be worth looking at.

I'm not sure why Alexey posted what he did.

Thanks again.
Lou.