Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

5.0b1 Install failure on OSX 10.6.8

Post by socratis »

The title says it all, but (after pulling my hair for a couple of hours and preparing to file a bug report), I read this footnote gem from the 5.0b1 User Manual (Ch. 1.4, Supported host operating systems):
2. Preliminary Mac OS X support (beta stage) was added with VirtualBox 1.4, full support with 1.6. Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) support was removed with VirtualBox 3.1. Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and earlier was removed with VirtualBox 4.4
It was nice meeting you people. And I say that without any grunge at all. I fully understand the logic behind that decision. I guess I'll have to start building it myself (if able) ;)

PS. BTW, support ended for WinXP and WinSrv2003 as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: 5.0b1 Install failure on OSX 10.6.8

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:I fully understand the logic behind that decision.
Unfortunately, Apple makes it very hard to support both new and old OS X versions, and it's doubly difficult because Apple wants new signatures that only the latest development kits can produce.

On the other hand, Apple has been far better than Microsoft at convincing users to upgrade... so users on 10.7 and earlier are very much a minority. Nothing like, say, Windows 7.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.0b1 Install failure on OSX 10.6.8

Post by socratis »

So, my question then would be:
1) how hard would it be to keep rebuilding it for 10.6.x?
2) would the 5.0.x ExtPack (which you can't build on your own) work?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.