4.3 RC1 Windows guests need reactivation

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
bqbauer

4.3 RC1 Windows guests need reactivation

Post by bqbauer »

Since 4.3 Beta 1, Windows guests on multiple hosts complain about needing to be reactivated. I know this happens when your hardware changes a lot, but if I do this, will the guest act this way again when 4.3 is released? I'm only running Solaris hosts that also have Windows guests.

I ask, because I've seen this before with guests & beta releases, but the behavior has always disappeared with the final release of that VB version.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 4.3 RC1 Windows guests need reactivation

Post by mpack »

Which Windows guests? Different Windows releases have different activation rules. And did you install these guests yourself, from official setup CD/DVDs?
bqbauer

Post by bqbauer »

I have XP, Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and Windows 8 Pro (64-bit). All complained about needing reactivation with 4.3 prereleases on two different hosts. I personally installed all of them from scratch with retail product, and no one else uses my computers.

Now with 4.3 release, I have remaining only Windows 8 complaining that my key is in use on another computer. Other VMs aren't complaining. Yet. I'm going to let the Windows 8 VM run a bit on 4.3 and see if it becomes happy again before I re-enter my key. I've seen this happen with other beta releases of VB, so we'll see if it resolves.
bqbauer

Post by bqbauer »

Well, my Windows 8 Pro OS ultimately had to be reactivated. Had to call Microsoft, enter a 48 digit code, answer a question as to how many systems I've installed with my key (the answer is ONE), and then enter another 48 digit reactivation code.

As mentioned before, I've only seen activation complaints in beta versions of VB. This is the first time I've had to reactivate a Microsoft OS due to a VB upgrade. Too bad (or glad) I only need Windoze to run one app--Adobe Lightroom--which is so awesome for my needs.

Glad I only spent $15 on Windows 8 Pro or I wouldn't have it. Microsoft's initial offer for a new computer last year (which I built), and the MS web site gave anyone a steep discount for virtually any new computer.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Were they able to tell you what had triggered reactivation?
bqbauer

Post by bqbauer »

I spoke to a computer. From what I understand, Microsoft will make you reactivate if there are "significant changes" to your hardware. What that means varies. I re-entered my installation key, but it said it had exceeded its activation count. I'd only installed the OS once, never entered the key a second time. Maybe Windows 8 is more picky than the others, since it's the only guest on which this happened.
bqbauer

Post by bqbauer »

Well this could throw a wrench into my particular problem:

I went to upgrade to 8.1 the Windows 8 guest (the one that I had to reactivate), and the Windows Store was forever in a state where it was unable to connect to the "server". Everything else worked that I use--Windows updates, a few applications, web browsing, VPN. I then tried to go into the PC Settings dialog, and it would only come up blank. Tried searching for settings in the Windows 8 search, and it couldn't find anything.

I hadn't use the Windows store since I installed the OS a year ago, and I don't mess with the settings since I have no need. These things could have been broken a very long time, but since updates & apps ran, I didn't suspect a problem. I finally ran a Windows Refresh and had to reinstall my apps & 60+ Windows updates. Then the store, search, & settings all worked as necessary and the 8.1 upgrade succeeded. My 8.1 installation is still activated after all of this.

So was it the upgrade to VB 4.3, or did my guest get really fouled up at approximately the same time? Or both? We may never know. I took six VB snapshots in the process so I wouldn't have to repeat all of this again!