FreeBSD hangs on boot

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
CME
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows 98se, 2k, xp, 7, solaris, opensolaris, reactos, ubuntu, debian,...

FreeBSD hangs on boot

Post by CME »

HI, i've tried to boot my FreeBSD VM with VirtualBox 4.3 RC1, but is just hangs after loading the kernel. I haven't tried it with the betas, i'll try it later to check if it's not a regression within 4.3.
Attachments
FreeBSD ZFS-2013-10-13-02-37-04.log
(56.32 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: FreeBSD hangs on boot

Post by michaln »

Is there just one version of FreeBSD? Without knowing what exactly you were running, the report is unfortunately pretty useless...
CME
Guest OSses: windows 98se, 2k, xp, 7, solaris, opensolaris, reactos, ubuntu, debian,...

Post by CME »

Sorry, it's FreeBSD 9.1 amd64. It's somewhat reproducible with the FreeBSD 9.2 amd64 netboot CD, too. With that CD, it corrupts the screen in the guest and VirtualBox dies with a guru meditation. I'll attach the logs of this later today.

It seems like it's only happening on my Phenom 955, I've tried to boot the netboot cd and this VM on my AMD E450 and it works fine.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

CME wrote:Sorry, it's FreeBSD 9.1 amd64. It's somewhat reproducible with the FreeBSD 9.2 amd64 netboot CD, too. With that CD, it corrupts the screen in the guest and VirtualBox dies with a guru meditation. I'll attach the logs of this later today.
Yes, a log for that would be very helpful. I don't see a problem on my Intel machine, but this could easily be something AMD specific. We'll have a look.
It seems like it's only happening on my Phenom 955, I've tried to boot the netboot cd and this VM on my AMD E450 and it works fine.
Aha, good to know. If you could also attach a log for the working (vs. non-working) host system that'd be great.
CME

Post by CME »

Here are the logs.
Attachments
amd e450.log
working
(74.02 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
phenom 955.log.gz
guru meditation
(34.62 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

I wonder if this is the problem that causes the guest to triple-fault afterwards:

Code: Select all

00:00:13.617107 IEM: rdmsr(0xc0011029) -> GP(0)
Anyway, thanks for the log. We'll take a look.
Oracle Corp.
CME

Post by CME »

FYI, I've found this: https://gitorious.org/freebsd/freebsd/c ... 6aee/diffs
So I've added the hypervisor CPUID to VirtualBox and FreeBSD boots fine now.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Yes, I noticed that the latest FreeBSDs write this MSR only when the hypervisor-present bit isn't set. Nonetheless, we will have to fix this regardless of the HVP bit.

BTW, this is a fairly undocumented MSR from AMD for magically workingaround a very nasty CPU bug on certain AMD CPUs. Errata 721 from the revision guide for AMD family 10h CPUs to be precise. FreeBSD uses this workaround for sane behaviour but the workaround is irrelevant inside a guest as the host OS would/should have done this already.
Oracle Corp.