Host: Windows XP, VBox 3.2.0-BETA1
After upgrading VirtualBox, many VM refuse to start
I have many VMs (shutdown, aka offline snapshots), with GuestAdditions.iso still inserted in them, because I forgot to eject it.
Obviously they all refuse to start, because GuestAdditions.iso path on host has changed from "Sun" to "Oracle". See screenshot.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Install Sun VirtualBox 3.x (3.1.6 recommended)
2. Create empty VM (you don't need guest OS)
3. insert GuestAdditions.iso
4. Create offline snapshot
5. Run VM
6. Create live snapshot
7. kill VM
8. upgrade to Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.x
VMs refuse to start
1. Since those VMs are offline snapshots (shut down), the most logical is to warn user about lacking CD, and create new GUI dialog with buttons: "Eject CD and Launch VM" and "Shutdown VM". This will solve the problem all CDs, not just GuestAdditions, but only offline snapshots. (because in some cases I _do_ delete CD ISOs from HDD, esp. games that I stop playing)
2. Installer could try a bit harder to automatically change paths in XML files. This will solve the problem for both Live/offline snapshots, but only for GuestAdditions CD.
- CD-not-found.PNG (18.22 KiB) Viewed 956 times