guest additions with vista x64 issues

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
CadErik

guest additions with vista x64 issues

Post by CadErik »

I recently converted my physical vista 64 installation into a vmdk drive.
It boots fine but I cannot get the guest additions to work properly. In the device manager "virtualbox device" has a warning and of course no 3d acceleration and no shared folders... Any suggestions?

Erik
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Re: guest additions with vista x64 issues

Post by MarkCranness »

Did you manage to install the Guest Additions? If not, you might have disabled auto-run. Inside the VM, Devices>Install Guest Additions, then using Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD/DVD drive letter and manually run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
CadErik

Post by CadErik »

MarkCranness wrote:Did you manage to install the Guest Additions? If not, you might have disabled auto-run. Inside the VM, Devices>Install Guest Additions, then using Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD/DVD drive letter and manually run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
I uninstalled and reinstalled many times without any luck...
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Could you please try to install the Guest Additions again, this time with the "/L" (note the casing!) parameter attached? This should produce a logfile in the Guest Additions installation directory. Also please try to a get a "setupapi.log" and/or "setupapi.dev.log" file from your Windows directory after installation.

Please attach both files in zipped format to this thread, thanks!
CadErik

Post by CadErik »

pentagonik wrote:Could you please try to install the Guest Additions again, this time with the "/L" (note the casing!) parameter attached? This should produce a logfile in the Guest Additions installation directory. Also please try to a get a "setupapi.log" and/or "setupapi.dev.log" file from your Windows directory after installation.

Please attach both files in zipped format to this thread, thanks!
Solved!! The issue was an ATI filter driver that was left from my physical machine (my p2v did not do too well), I noticed that all the devices with errors (video driver and virtualbox device) were attached to that device. I removed it, rebooted and everything except the audio driver is looking fine in the device manager.