VirtualBox - VirtIO

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Technologov
Volunteer

VirtualBox - VirtIO

Post by Technologov »

Hi All !

As you may know, VirtualBox 3.1 supports VirtIO network, which is Ultra-fast para-virtual network device. VirtIO was originally developed for Linux (hosts and guests), but theoretically it can work with both Windows & Linux (hosts and guests).

Congratulations to VirtualBox developers for supporting such an important standard !

FYI: The VirtIO specification has not only network, but also a para-virtual block device (or storage). It is called VirtIO-block. It acts similarly to SCSI controller, but has more performance optimizations.
This again is supported by both Linux and Windows guests. VirtIO-block can be used as a bootable device. For now, VirtualBox does not support VirtIO-block (only VirtIO-network supported).

1. User Manual's changelog must contain: (major new feature)
+ VirtIO network support

2. In the Qt GUI the VirtIO network - you have error.
You say that it is Linux-only. Not true.
VirtIO is available for Windows guests too... (both 32 and 64-bit VMs)

See:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers
and
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Internals ... rk_adapter

Source code available, so you can build your own drivers. Red Hat however has those drivers pre-built and WHQL tested, signed and certified by Microsoft.
WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) ensures better drivers quality. Basically I recommend you to have drivers pre-compiled, and signed by MS.

Windows 2000+ (2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/2008R2/7) guests are supported. (both 32 and 64-bit)

As for Linux guests, I think it requires kernel 2.6.24, or backport. That is, you can install VirtIO drivers using "VBoxLinuxAdditions" on older kernels. 2.6.18 for sure, maybe even earlier, using your compile-on-demand tactics.
As for Linux distros, that do work: openSUSE 11.0+, Fedora 9+, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS+, RHEL 5.3+. First three has kernel 2.6.24+ and the last one has custom driver backport to 2.6.18 by Red Hat.

"+" means this version and up.

VirtIO network, in my own benchmarks, achieves 1.1 Gbps of bandwidth between Linux host and Linux guest. (if the kernels are configured properly, otherwise performance drops below Intel E1000 levels).

3. Documentation:
section 6.1 needs some update for VirtIO.

-Technologov
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: VirtualBox 3.1 BETA - VirtIO

Post by Technologov »

Good News:

Today it is the first time I run VirtIO Windows-on-Windows ! (Remember? Not long time ago this was Linux-on-Linux only technology! )
Host: WIndows 7 x64, Core 2 Q6600.
Guests: Windows 2000, Windows XP 32-bit, Win 2003 (32+64-bit), SMPx2, VirtIO (NAT) !

VirtIO Drivers for Windows guest downloaded from:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGu ... ad_Drivers
majeru

Post by majeru »

Hello,

I also tested it and works great both for Linux and Windows guests. The 3.1 final version could make use of virtio by default for everything, for example the virtio drivers made by Qumranet could be included in the windows guest additions, and the default network adapter when creating a VM could be set to virtio for Windows and all the Linux distros that support it in their default install.

Thanks for the great work!

Regards,
Cristi
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

majeru:
I am pretty much against using it as default for now; Some guests may not support it.
Or some people may want to run VMs without guest additions.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

update: The following problems still exists in BETA3.

3. Documentation:
section 6.1 needs some update for VirtIO.

4. Documentation/Changelog:
Changelog is also inaccurate by saying about Linux guests. (what about Windows guests?)

5. Documentation:
It should explain which guests support VirtIO. This section must be linked to changelog.
Out-of-the-box: Linux 2.6.24+
Drivers exist: Windows 2000+ and Linux 2.6.18+

-Technologov
umoeller

Post by umoeller »

Thanks, the manual will be updated for 3.1 final.