mouse problems in Windows host

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
bs

mouse problems in Windows host

Post by bs »

Hi,

Are there any known problems in the beta that cause mouse problems in a Windows 10 host?

A couple days ago, I upgraded from 6.1.(maybe 35?) to 6.1.38 then to 7.0.0-beta2 and afterwards began experiencing problems with mouse control in my Windows 10 host. (Things seemed fine in the Windows 11 and 10 guests).
FYI I use a Logitech MK300 (pretty typical wireless mouse/keyboard combo) with some Logitech SetPoint software installed.

Examples:
- sometimes moving the mouse would become constrained to only part of my display, but if I moved the mouse around enough it would sort of break through the invisible barrier to access the rest of the display
- sometimes dragging a window seemed to get interrupted, and it would just stop moving (but without dragging across anything else, as described next). I would have to release the mouse and begin dragging again.
- sometimes dragging a window seemed to get interrupted, so if I was dragging a window, the window would stop moving and my cursor would just drag across whatever was behind (either windows desktop, or other applications).
- sometimes dragging a window would just slow down as if I was moving the mouse much more slowly than I was.
- this would happen whether or not VirtualBox was currently running.

I uninstalled 7.0.0-beta2 and rebooted, and the problem persisted.
I installed 6.1.38 and rebooted, and now the problem is gone and my host machine is working correctly again.

I am excited about the new Windows 11 support in VirtualBox 7 but this made working in the host very frustrating. I'm happy to reinstall the beta to try any troubleshooting. Thanks!
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: mouse problems in Windows host

Post by birdie »

Can't confirm, for me Windows XP, 10 and 11 guests work just fine with VBox 7.0.
bs

Post by bs »

Guests seem fine, the problem affects my host.
bs

Post by bs »

Going back to 6.1.38 actually did NOT eliminate the problem, I'm still experiencing it. So now I'm uncertain whether it is related to the VBox upgrade or something else and the timing was just a coincidence. I'll continue to investigate. But if anyone has run into similar problems, please let me know. Thanks.