Host-only Adapter

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Rui Baptista
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, ...

Host-only Adapter

Post by Rui Baptista »

Hi

This is the results for Settings > Network when it is chosen as Host-only Adapter:
Attachments
Host-only Adapter.zip
(254.29 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Host-only Adapter

Post by klaus »

At first look it seems that the associated driver is missing on the host. Any error messages from the installer?
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

Are you referring to C:\Users\Rui\.VirtualBox? If not, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me where the installer is...

By the way, are you in a similar situation?
Attachments
.VirtualBox.zip
(214.78 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Rui Baptista wrote:Are you referring to C:\Users\Rui\.VirtualBox
This is the folder holding the Virtualbox configuration files and global logs. It is not the Virtualbox installer. The installer is an executable file downloaded from http://www.virtualbox.org which you run to install Virtualbox.
klaus wrote:Any error messages from the installer?
This quite likely refers to any possible error messages that appear when running the Virtualbox installer detailed above.

However, the VboxSVC.log in the posted zip may contain some message that those who can interpret them may know how to handle.

In the past, VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND has happened when the Bridged network driver fails to attach to the network adapters. This Bridged driver is used in Host-Only, too.

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
After the reinstall, open Network and Sharing Center, web-search how to find this, then view all the network adapters. Right-click the Host-Only adapter, choose Properties, then check that the "Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" binding is present and checked:

Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

I just went to network connections, chose the VirtualBox address, tested TCP/IPv4 and the IP address and Subnet mask were all zero. I replaced the address with the main screen and that's it.

Thank you so much scottgus1 and klaus!

Rui